Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Priv.edb

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebook

MIS
Jun 13, 2001
CA
I have an older server that I need to keep operational for a while longer but I need to conserve disk space. Is there anyway to get back space from the Information Store after several mailboxes are deleted?

Thank you

using the eseutil command. if you do not have enough hard drive space to commit the temp file you can always map it to another hard drive

Be Aware!

Incorrect use of eseutil can leave your IS in an unrecoverable state.

Chris.

Is eseutil the only way to recover space? We have done a bunch of mail clean up and need to recover the space - but, of course, don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the database(s). I have found lots of info on running eseutil, but nothing that says "beware" which is what I'm looking for!

Any information will be helpful....

ESEUTIL is the only way. Yes, you should always do a backup before running it, but be advised that the DEFRAG function of ESEUTIL is not usually dangerous. The most dangerous function is the RECOVER option. Techs are just being wise and cautious, as they should be, whenever they perform operations that affect important data.

WooHoo! Thanks for the quick and helpful responses - I feel a bit more confident about heading down this path now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back