Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to PDF file from foxpro 2.6 reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonbar

Programmer
Jun 26, 2000
GB
I have added a HP PS printer as a dummy to my printer control panel and am using the pdf port as the printer port. Sending files to print using this option for visual reports (VFP6.0 and higher) works but using dos just brings about an error on the distiller any ideas on what to do to get round this or alternatives to my idea.

Thanks

Jason

I assume that when you say "using DOS" you mean that you have a FP DOS (some version) application which you sometimes use.

If that is true, remember that FP DOS does not really recognize Windows or use any of the Windows print drivers. Instead it merely outputs its print data to one of the hardware printer ports (LPTn or COMn). That is why Windows has to be configured to "capture" output attempts to the LPT (or COM) ports and re-direct them. Additionally, Window's ability to successfully accomplish this task could be rated at best as being on the "flaky" side.

Converting the DOS application to one of the FP Windows versions (FP 2.6 Windows or Visual) will enable the application to recognize and successfully utilize the Windows print drivers.

Good Luck,
jrbbldr
jrbbldr@yahoo.com

Before you go off converting your applications, try capturing the printer as LPT1 or LPT2. You'd do this in the printer's properties dialog. Distiller should work then.

Alternatively, you could try Aladdin's Ghostscript program. It has a number of excellent command-line utilities to convert various formats to PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back