Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing to okidata c5150n

Status
Not open for further replies.

spddmon

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
I've been trying to get this printer working on a 5.0.6 box with no positive results. The closest I got was using netcat using port 9100 or 631(ipp) where I got "invalid data" message. The same with rlp.
Is anyone familiar with this printer? Or know of a way to get this to work on SCO 5.0.6/5.0.7?
Thanks

Well, maybe I should revise this. The okidata c5150n is I believe a GDI only printer(for whatever that means), but I think prints OK from windows but not unix/linux. It does have its own network card. Has anyone ever been successful sending simple text print jobs to such printers.

A quick GOOGLE search on "GDI Printer" provides this:

A printer that has built-in support for Windows Graphical Device Interface (GDI). GDI is used by most Windows applications to display images on a monitor, so when printing from a Windows application to a GDI printer, there is no need to convert the output to another format such as PostScript or PCL.
GDI printers are sometimes called host-based printers because they rely on the host computer to rasterize pages.

Based on that definition, I think you have very limited options. The first of which is to get a different printer.

Thank you. Printer is already on its way back to retailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back