Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to a specific Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylv4n

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
GB
Hi,

what I want is for my end user to be able to click print and the printout will always come to a single specific printer on a A3 page with booklet printing.

I have setup the printer so it only has A3 paper in it and it defaults to booklet printing the problems I am having are as follows:

- The Printer
Adobe by default wants to print to my default printer, I want it to ALWAYS use a specific printer regardless which one is default in windows. so I always want it to print to "MyAcrobatPrinter" rather than "ITOffice" printer or whatever printer the user has, is there any way to set this?

- Page Size
Since its a form that the user looks at it needs to stay in A4 format on the screen, however I cant figure out how to tell it to print in A3, again are there settings somewhere that I'm missing?

Any ideas?

I don't know of any way of doing it in the Acrobat document.
It would be pretty easy to create a small app and shell it out of MS Access or VB though.

"Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted."

The problem with that is that I am using the PDF as a form, and so all m users who want to print it get is a xdp file, and I guess if I try and print that directly they will get the equivalent of a text file rather than the Adobe form with the xdp data in it.

Ok, I'm slowly making progress.
I think they way I'm going to aproach this is create a button on the form to print with the following code:

Code:
xfa.host.print(0, "0", (xfa.host.numPages -1).toString(), 0, 1, 0, 0, 0);

now this is fine, it asks no questions and just sends it directly to the printer.

So now I just need a way to specify in Javascript the printer to use
and (wish list) pick a "Printing Shortcut" from the 'Preferances' menu from the printer - but there may be another way round this bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back