Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing to a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlmoore

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hey folks,
I have a special need. We are trying to cut down on our paper consumption and we will be digitally archiving many of the reports we have traditionally done in paper. Unfortunately, we are using some very old software so this gets complicated. We can try to modify several hundred programs to generate individual files with unique names, without interfering with each other. Or, we can try to create a print queue that will do this for us. Obviously, the print queue option will probably be the easier option. It is also more scalable since we could use it for anything.

Does anyone know how to setup an AIX print queue to print directly to a file? Preferablly, it will generate a unique name for each file. :) From what I can see, I will need to create a backend program to do this. Something that I have never done, so that might be exciting. If it can only be done via a backend, anyone have advice for a first time backend project? We are using AIX 4.3.2.0

Thanks

A start I guess..........

Check out this site?

as a start or LAIX software is the best for printing stuff...
there is a trial program...you may want to check it out...
(PS I do not sell this product)

I Archive Product Description
Archive is a printing utility for AIX which will allow copies of all jobs sent
to a print queue to be archived into a specified directory for later use or
retrieval. This will allow the recovery of lost print jobs as well as retaining
a record of print jobs which is useful for such applications as check printing.

Hey! Cool. I couldn't find anything like this. Clearly, I need to brush up my searching skills. I will take a detailed look at it and let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back