Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing to a dcs35 from Windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2001
GB
I have upgraded from Windows NT to Windows 2000 server. Everything is fine except printing to a Xerox DCS35 document centre. The printer has a built in ethernet card and has all the TCPIP information saved into its memory.
I have gone through the following procedure to try and set up the printer on the server using the print wizard.
Add printer.
Choose local printer.
Create new port as standard TCPIP port.
Enter the IP address of the printer.
add :lp at the end of the port name.
The server detects this as a Xerox DCS adaptor with LPR protocol.
Select the DCS35 driver from the Microsoft list because there is not a Xerox driver.

I then set all the page sizes and check the printer settings. When I try and print a test page (or anything) I get a page with the Xerox X badge, my logon name, and the time and name of print.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the printer working?

Instead of using Standard TCPIP printing add the LPR service to the W2k machine (Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows components, Other Networks Services, print services for Unix). Now use LPR with lp as the queue name, make sure you have the correct driver - you should be able to download this from the Xerox site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back