Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing stops until mouse move???

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitelo

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
useing win9x, serial mouse pent 200, citizen gsx190
printer. printing will stop until mouse is moved

really wierd any suggestions?

if it is to be it's up to me

very wierd! i could find no mention of this on google, but may i suggest using a ps/2 mouse if it is possible

You are lucky the computer is still running. It might be time to consider a newer system.

You can check the IRQ list to see if you have any conflicts. I have never known the printer/serial port to conflict with a mouse. It is possible I guess.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I think a first step to try on printer issues is to remove and reinstall the printer. You could also try that with the mouse.

something on the order of
uninstall printer and its software and remove mouse in device manager, shut system down, reboot, let it reinstall mouse, and then reinstall printer and see if that helps any.

You could also consider removing and reinstalling the serial port in device manager when you do the mouse.

I haven't worked with a serial mouse for awhile and don't know if driver levels are still an issue for those, but another possibility might be to look for a more current level of driver for the serial mouse.

ceh4702,

Used to happen all the time (probably still does) with NT, as it would disable serial ports to reserve them for mice.

All the suggestions above seem good ones. But take a good hard look at your .ini files to see if there is a direct port assignment statement in there causing problems.

Hey what is windows95?... Just kidding... Dude if this is what your running it is definately time for a new system. As previously mentioned it does seem to be a IRQ and/or DMA conflict. If you have two serial ports you may want to try your mouse on the second port. Best bet is to get a ps/2 mouse or up to win98 which is a little more Plug n play savvy...

thanks for the responds, the computers are due
for upgrade, looking for bargins. you would think
that five year old computers would be fast enough
for "simple stuff".
any recommendations on extending life span of
800-1.2 to match the life of these pent 233s
let me know

if it is to be it's up to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor