Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Standards, How do pros keep color standards when printing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef22

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
Hello Photoshop Pros~!

I was wondering what is the best way to save a photoshop file such as a business card or stationary labels so they "KEEP" their color you see on screen.

I am already building in CMYK mode. My Client has a nice gray scale scheme but I am worried that the print shop will mess up the colors.

How do I create a custom set of colors and adhere to that scheme throughout the clients stationary and media.
ie. Cards, Labels, Signs, etc.

Thanks,
Steve

Read the manual regarding the topic 'color management'. This is a hefty topic that cannot be simply described in a forum post.

...so many variables in print that when you delve into this game you begin to realize how difficult color can be to deal with...

...It is advisable to stick to pantone color swatches where possible, printing these in cmyk isn't always achieveable though and digital proofers often struggle to reproduce pantones. Pantone (the company) have been changing cmyk splits of pantone colors for years now. Pantone books fade over time, pantone inks printed on different paper stocks look different and on top of all that, one printer printing in a certain pantone may end up with a slightly different result because the actual pantone books themselves aren't that consistent...

...always advisable to to get a match proof from your print provider before commiting to press, get a result you are happy to sign off, then you will have a target colour for future runs and designs. Your print provider needs some kind of target to go by. Some jobs we have matched as best we can to are actual client ink jet proofs...

...color management is a big and often daunting area for many, the print provider will at least have a proofing device that can mimmick the printing press they use...

...some clients, with the cash, sometimes opt for wet proofs that are actually printed on the press using the actual paper, these clients however are few and far between due to huge set up costs involved...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back