Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudsyB

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
EU
We are currently rolling out new pc's HP D330's running Windows XP/Office 2000. As part of our build we are adding all our 8 network printers to each pc so that users can print to any printer. However, once these are loaded (either logged in as the user or as Administrator), these printers are only available in their entirety to that user -so if another user logs on to that pc, not all of the printers will be available. How do we get around this problem please?

Many thanks in advance

You want to create a login script that will map the printer connections each time a new user logs on. The context for it is quite simple.

'Start code
Set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WSHNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\Server\HP5si"
WSHNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\Server\HP4"
WSHNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\Server\HP3si"
'End code

Just pop the above into a text file and give it a .VBS extension. If you are in a domain you can make it part of your domain login scripts in AD or even in WinNT. If you don't have a domain, you can add it to the local computer policy login scripts section.

Of course, you need to edit the paths and add for your full 8 printers, but that should be obvious from the example.

Very cool info bcastner!

Only thing I don't like about it is that it requires a visit to each PC if there is a change where a scripted version only needs to be edited at the server.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Au contraire:

1. It supports remote worksations, so they can be centrally managed;

2. It can be pushed throgh the logon script: see this thread for a discussion: thread779-581142

Nice! Thanks for the correction.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back