Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing--restrictions in effect on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezie62

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
I have a user who is having trouble printing locally. When I tried to print a test page, I got the message, "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I got this message even after rebooting. I have never had this problem before. Any ideas, or guidance on how to change the settings? This is a Windows 95 PC and the printer is an HP DeskJet 840C. Thanks!

Louise

Go to Start > Printers > actual Printer Right click and delete.

reboot and then reinstall using add printer using original drivers.

I tried to uninstall, but got the same message. I tried deleting LPT1 and then removing the printer, but still got the message. So with LPT1 deleted, I rebooted the PC. But it automatically added LPT1 back, along with the printer. So I deleted LPT1 again and rebooted into Safe mode. Then I was able to delete the printer. When I rebooted back into normal mode, it automatically installed LPT1, but the printer was gone. So I used a CD that came with the printer and reinstalled the printer, but I still got this error message. The setting must be elsewhere on the PC. Any ideas where? Thanks for any help you can give!
Louise

I assume this is at work on a network? Is there any restrictions made on users trying to print locally? Maybe they are not supposed to use lpt1 only a network printer.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Yes, this is a PC on a network. However, we do not have any restrictions on our network concerning users printing locally. In fact, most PCs on our network have local printers. I should also mention that this PC is in a classroom, so probably one of the students played with a setting somewhere.

Is this system able to access other files on the network? if not I would make reconfigure the system in question to recognize the IP address of the printer...which brings me o my next question...is this a network printer (connected directly to the hub or is it a shared printer (attached to another system?

Ken

===================================
Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!

Ken,
This printer is connected directly to the PC in question, and it is not shared with anyone else. This PC is able to access everything the classroom has rights to on the network. I still believe that the problem is with a setting on the PC itself. Any ideas where?
Louise

Thank you for the elaboration I believe I have the full picture now. Give this a try:

OR

If neither of the above work then I would update all LPT and printer drivers and the check in control panel ---> system ----> device manager ----> and expand the "Ports" menu -----> double click LPT Port and make sure that "Exists in all profiles" is checked.

Last but not least go to Printers uder settings in your start menu and double click on the printer in question. In the window that opens up click on "Printer" and make sure that "Pause Printing" is NOT checked.

hope this helps :)

Ken

Rebooting your computer does NOT
mean kicking it for a second time!!

1. Can you print if you don't log into the network?
If Yes, then reconfigure all network settings for your station. If No, :
2. Is there a particular kind of PC? (Compaq, etc.), which System BIOS is equipped with security on the integrated devices, included LPT's? (look in your System BIOS)!
If Yes, then disable any security on LPT's.
If No, :
3. Check your BIOS LPT1 configuration: port 378, IRQ7
4. Other possible causes:
Are there local policies instaled reffering to restrictions of use on local ports or local printers? (check with your policy editor)
5. Run a recently updated antivirus program
6. Do an on-line Windows Update
7. Search for an updated printer driver
Good luck!
Gicutale

Bottom line, you need to make sure you have a good printer, cable and parallel port.

Boot to DOS mode, type

dir > lpt1

If you get a printout of your directory contents, its a windows issue. If it doesn't print out, look at the printer, cable, and parallel port as possible causes.

Also, the obvious, have you installed a virus scanner, updated it, and scanned?

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back