Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Report w/SubReport in Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

horna

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have a report that has text information in the Report Header Section. The Report Footer Section has a subreport that draws data from our Oracle Server. These are the only 2 sections that have anything in them.
The report runs great in Crystal Reports, BUT gets a "Failed" message in Seagate Info. Inside the Properties there is a message "PEStartPrintJob : Cannot open SQL server". I get this message whether I send the report to the printer, or disk.
Thanks very much for your help.

This rather vague message returned by Info is basically a generic error message meaning that the server could not successfully establish a connection with the database.

Symptoms could be anything between you forgot to enter the logon details to the database fell over.

Commonly, the most frequent causes of this error are:
i) the person who promoted the report to the desktop forgot to enter the database log on details, or entered the password incorrectly.
ii) The odbc connection used on the designer client does not exist on the server.
iii) The database client is incorrectly installed or configured on the info server. (e.g. in the case of an Oracle install, the tnsnames.ora file may need updating.)

Naith

Something I failed to mention in describing this problem, was the fact that if I put the subreport in Info by itself, it works fine, and of course, if I take out the subreport, and leave just the Report Header Section, then it works also.
It's only when I try to run a report w/subreport does it fail.

I am still not able to run any report with a subreport in Info. I re-installed Seagate Info on my PC for testing, and it gives me the same message as running from the server.
I checked the password, and it is fine.
I even made up a simple report, with the main report having only text fields, and the subreport having only one database field. Didn't work.
My ODBC connections seem to be fine, because I can run the subreport as a main report in Info, and it works just fine.
Thanks for all of your help.

Horna,

Your symptoms sound reminiscent of an issue which was open with Crystal for some time last year. The issue, which was basically with regard to subreports in page headers/footers ended up making the report fail. It was eventually resolved by upgrading one of the dlls.

You might find a bit more information at:

One question though, if you run the APS, Agent and Sentinel as services (if you're running them as processes - or vice versa) do you get the same results?

Thanks for the information. I tried it all, but with no luck. Info seems determined not to work with a subreport.
Question: Does Seagate Enterprise have the same problem?
and if it does is there any other type of program I can use to schedule Crystal Reports?
Thanks again for all help.

I installed Crystal Enterprise, brought over all of my reports from Info, and am in the process of testing.
Enterprise runs a report with a subreport, BUT does not print it correctly. I can either print the main report, or the subreport results, but not both.
It also appears that the FREE Enterprise does not handle users, and groups. Enterprise did not bring over users, or groups from Info.

Two things can happen,
follow those steps;
1- userid and password.
2- if you built your report in latest version you have to open it in info version and save it in info desktop 7.00.

I believe that I fixed the problem that I had printing reports with subreports within Seagate Info.
Originally, I put the subreport into the main report, and it failed every time it ran in Info.
The only thing that I changed, was to add all of the subreport's data tables into the main report. I don't know why my main report needs to have any data tables, because I have only text in my main report, but it works. So I guess anytime I put a subreport inside another report, I need to add the subreport's data tables.
Problem I have now is the subreport only prints it's page header once. In other works, it prints out as one large page. I somehow have to make the report print it's page header at the top of every page, and not just the first page.
Thanks for your help.

How to use a master report and include several subreports, each with its own page header:
1. Create (from the menu bar: format, section, insert) several page headers, one for each subreport.

2. Declare a variable [I used sectn] in a formula, which will hold a unique number for each subreport; place this formula (variable) in the same section as the subreport.

Here's the code for the formula.

NumberVar sectn; -- declare the variable
WhilePrintingRecords; -- set it after you load the records
sct:= 1 -- change this in each case

3. Supress the page headers for all sections other than the one you want to print:

Here's the formula for the conditional suppress option.
NumberVar sct;
WhilePrintingRecords;
(sct <>1 )

It works like a charm.

You do not need to load all the data into the main report, but the main report needs some reason to connect to the data source. (Just connect it to the smallest table there, or create a table with just one field and one line of data).

If there is no data in the main report, CR does not really connect when the report is opened. Then it tries to access the sub-reports - by that time it has no recollection of the connection that it needs to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back