Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianedwards

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
Hi

Not sure what my question is other than how do I obtain accurate prints.

A client has supplies a flattened psd file which prints perfectly on my HP2605 printer. The file was prepared in PS V5 and I opened it in cs3 extended. As the file needs altering I replicated it, and on the screen they look perfect. When I print them on my 2605 they look the same however when I take them and try them on another new HP laser the original looks ok but my effort is much darker.

They are both printed letting PS handle the colours and both are in the format grey/8 as the image is black with white shading.

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong?

thanks

Ian

are both printers using the same paper and exact settings?

As far as I am aware they are both using the default HP Settings.

Ian

...are image profiles involved with the images in question, do the embedded profiles differ?

Andrew

Hi

If you mean the following: then yes

Settings North America General purpose (Ok I'm in the UK)

RGB: srgb IE61966-2.1
CMK Web coated Swap
Gray dot grain 20%
spot dot grain 20%

the color management policies are all set to "Preserve embeded Profiles

The PSD files when opemed have

gray/8* in the blue bar ( created by the client)

and the other created by me has

gray/8

Don't know what the * indicates

I am new to printing having used PS for the web. I assume that this means that the embeded profile is sent with the PSDfile?

Could the problem be that PS 7 which I use at the office is not correctly interpreting the CS3 created PSD file?

cheers

Ian

... the * indicates that the image opened has an embedded profile (preserved on opening) that differs to the working space profile, a # symbol would mean that the image doesn't have an embedded profile (not color managed on opening)...

...no symbol at all, as in your image, means that the profile used is the same as your working color space that photoshop is using...

...the image profile (if any) can be determined by viewing the pop out menu via the black arrow at the bottom left of all opened images (show > document profile)...

...the embedded profile image of the clients differs to your image, when printing using your source application ensure your printer driver settings aren't performing color management as well as the application you are printing from, it needs to be one or the other not both...

...color management is a big area in truth, and it still confuses me as so many things want to control color, be it the print driver, image sources, paper used, printer used, inks used, monitors used, applications used etc...

...when you open the client image in PS7, you choose preserve embedded profile?

...when you open your image in PS7, does it just open or do you choose another option?

Andrew

Hi

thanks for that , it give me something to look at. When I open in V7 it does give me a message which I can;t remember. When I go into the office tomorrow I'll take a look at the profiles etc.

Thanks

Ian

If the HP printer driver doesn't allow you to turn off color management (my 2550 doesn't), then Photoshop cannot manage the colors. It will have to let the printer manage the colors.

That still may not help. I'm not at all sure who well HP lasers understand things like color profiles. A true color managed process would use a specific color profile for the printer/paper combination to insure the accuracy of the printed image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back