Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenred

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
GB
Hello All

I am having a strange problem with printing, when users print from Excel it takes about 5 mins to get the print out, Word comes up with an error "The printer has not yet responded ..."

Printing from Notepad and Test pages fly of the printer like there is no tommorrow.

If I log on as administrator i can print OK.If i log on as myself, I am in the domain admins group I cant print either.

I am thinking its some kind of permissions problem, have given the users full control of the printer, and full control of the spool directory but nothing seems to work.

We are using Windows 2003 Server with all the latest updates, all the users are using Terminal Server to log on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this problem is, before i tear all my hair out?

Thanks in Advance for any help

Ken

FloDiggs thanks for the reply, it is actually a Networked Printer.

We have put these servers in 4 of our Branches and this is the first one that has behaved like this.

I managed to get them working by adding the users to the Print Operators Group. There must be a better way of doing it though, not sure if there will be problems further down the line with doing this.

If you have any better suggestions I would like to here them.

Once again thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Ken

Hi,

I do not know if you are using Thin Client and using the Terminal Server as Print Server but if you are using a seperate print server but you can try it with the menioned below policies.

It looks like that a domain policy is overwriting some local policies.

I know that if a policy is in a "not configured" state it can behave as "enabled" or "disabled" regarding the policiy wich comes from above.

Therefore if you do not want that some policies restricts you wich is not configured you should explicit disable or enable it.

If you are using a seperate print server you can set the mentioned below policies wich can solve your problem.

Local Computer Policy

Print Server
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > COntrol Panel > Printers > Point and Print Restrictions > to disabled
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Printers > Allow print spooler to accept client connections > to enabled

Terminal Server
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > COntrol Panel > Printers > Prevent addition of printers > to disabled

Additionally in some scenarios Power User right for your users may be necessary.The Print Operators group has very limited rights and cannot install some drivers in some scenarios.Some driver installation and editing queue properties needs at least Power User rights.

You can check on Technet wich rights the Print Operators have.

Hope it help !
Please inform us if it took an effect.

Regards,
Cengiz Kuskaya

Kuskaya, thanks for your reply, will change the policies as per your suggestion later, and will let you know what happens.

Your assumption that we are using thin clients and the TS as a print server was correct by the way.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Knred,

ok:)if you are using the TS as a print server the action you should take looks a little bit different.My assumption was that you are using a seperate print server.

Only Power Users can install drivers on a Terminal Server.It would take a lot of time to explain you the behaviours of the spooler subsystem.

Printer driver installation and creating ports means making a "persistant change".Standard User do not have the needed rights to make a "persistent change"

First you should add the users to the "Power Users" on the TS and after that please configure also the mentioned below policies on the TS.

Terminal Server
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > COntrol Panel > Printers > Prevent addition of printers & Prevent addition of printers > to disabled

Local Computer Policies > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Devices:prevent users from installing printer drivers.> to disabled.

I have experineced that some printer drivers needs more rights in example drivers wich has customer print processor and language monitors.

Tip !
In such as cases you can use "process monitor" from Microsoft a powerfull freeware tool.

If the mentioned above action do not take an affect please inform me so I will try to help you.

Regards,
Cengiz Kuskaya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back