Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing pdf's in order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomama46

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
Sometimes I need to print a series of pdf files. I can select them using the control key, then right click and choose print. There are two problems with this method, 1)I cant determine the order in which the files are printed, in other words, Explorer may show them in alphabetical order or file size order but neither seems to be the determining factor for the print order. 2) using this method doesn't allow for the print dialog box to come up so not only can you not select any preferences such as stapling or a particular paper drawer to draw from, you can't even select the printer, it just automatically selects the default printer.
Are these Windows limitations or Adobe limitations? Are there work-arounds? What determines the print order?

pc.gif

Jomama

With Acrobat Standard or Professional, use File, Create PDF, from Multiple PDF's - select the files you want to print, use Acrobat's feature to put them in the order you want to print them, and let them become one file (no need to save it) and then print that file.
If they're all two page files, and you just want the front side, you can even print just the even numbered pages.

My billing department uses this procedure every day. If the files are on a network drive, it's best to temporarily copy them to a local drive before using this procedure.

Fred Wagner
(FileNet Content Services, Remedy 5.1, and Kofax Capture)

Fred Wagner

Thanks Fred, sounds like a solution.

pc.gif

Jomama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back