Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing on local printer from Terminal session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardbeg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2002
IS
I have set up Terminal server on Windows 2000 and everything is okay when I connect to it from other computers, but I cant see my local printers through the session like in Citrix but I thought Win 2000 Terminal sessions could make local printer transparent in the session, Is this really possible in Win 2000 like in Citrix or do I have to do something more in the Terminal server

Thanks

Ingvar

you have to set it up in termianal server

I have already set the server up as Terminal server in add remove Windows components and can connect to it, do I have to set something more up in Add remove or config it specially for it?

Thanks

try and see if you can get to these treads.
this question has been here before let me know if this helps
thread96-176273

you have to make sure the correct drivers are installed on both machines first of all, second you must be sure that the printer is mapped to Lpt1 on the client machine..some manufactures map to strange ports and terminal services will not recognize them. I administer a Terminal Server with 30+ users and have managed to map all printers to print localy on my clients machines. It takes a little work and trial and error, but as long as it is not a network printer on the client side I.E. as long as the printer is connected to the clients LPT1 and the correct drivers are installed on both server and client..the printer will work. The client that ships with XP supports network printers by the way.

Stephen Verrett
Network Architect
Stirling Design Group
MCSE, CCNA,

Thanks sumaya and FeSig

It is working now, I was using older version of the client 4.0 and when using 5.0 version everything is working as supposed to, it is good to ask even if you are the problem because some of the answers make you think :)

Ingvar

Thanks again

Arberg,

Where do we get the Windows 2000 Terminal Server Client 5 software? We wish to run this on a Windows XP Pro box.

TS is on a W2K machine.

If you already have Win2k Server it is on the server.
You can make disks from the server. It is under Administrator tools.

I can map network printers over TServer in W2000 by doing the net use command and in W98 by setting the network printer up on lpt1 and capturing the network printer port, but I'm trying to figure out how to capture a network printer connected to a HPJetdirect printer port with a name like NDI549ID. This is in a workgroup not in a domain where the network path is \\printer\hp1220. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back