Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing limitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjoeller

Technical User
Feb 16, 2003
AT
Since I work with InDesign 2.0 following problem appeard: I can only print or export my documents until page 85, no mather if they have 90 pages or 130. After page 85 the printer only put out empty pages. When I export the document as pdf the same problem - after p 85 everything is empty. strange detail: when I export the same document as text or html everything is there.

is there a kind of output limitation or a hidden setting?

would be great if somebody has an idea about this..!

PS Error?
You probably have a postscript error. Do you get any error messages?

Try printing page 84 by itself. Then try page 85. Then try 86. Do any of these pages fail by themselves?

RAM limitation?
Try printing page 85-130 as a single print job. You may be running out of RAM to print the full document.

yes, I have tried all of this.

If I print a range from 85 to 100 the pages stay emtpy, if I try to print one single page after one single page they as well stay empty... and there is no error notification from the printer...

when I export the same file as pdf then the created pdf has its 112 pages, but after page 85 all the pages in the pdf file are empty as well, there is not even the page number on them.... so the problem can´t only be a printer-specified one.

when I export the same file as html or plain text, all the pages and all the content from page 1 to 112 is perfectly there.

so it must have to do with some component that concerns the printer as well as the pdf export...
but I don´t have a clue WHAT this could be...!?

unfortunately I need it as pdf because there is no other way to get the right layout out of the computer...

Can you print to a virtual postscript printer and then distill the file in Acrobat Distiller? Distiller will give a detailed error log as it tries to turn it into a PDF.

Can you save a copy of the document and then delete pages 1-84? ...then print?

Does this happen on more than one document? Can you create a new test document with 150 pages? Then create a master page with an auto-page-number - - and then do a test print?

Can you print the document with no graphics? Suppress the image output in the print dialog to see if it is a postscript error attributed to a buggy graphic.

If this is just happening to one document, you may have a corrupt file. Try copying the contents into a new file, page by page.

Another way to rescue a buggy document is to perform a 'Save As...' to a new file. (this doesn't always work)

Okay, I'm moving over to this thread from my "Pages Go Blank" thread because although at first I thought perhaps I created a color problem, the problem described above is more like it. My document prints out fine until PAGE 83. Then it's all blanks! (this is the first long document I have tried in Indesign) I doubt it is a corrupt document because I have re-created this document from scratch, new file name, the whole shebang, several times, and still the same result.

Why won't the higher ranges of my document print? I have loads of RAM, and as the user above mentioned, even if I try printing only one page in the upper ranges, it won't print if it's above page 83. Is this an Indesign bug? I'm not getting an error message either.

Trish

hi discotrish!

the printing problem appeard because I was working with a prelease version of indesign. maybe this is your problem too, sounds quite familiar to me! if it is so, there will be no other way for you to print as much pages as you can and to recreate all the pages after p83 with a full version...
thats at least the only way I found to solve my problem!

gj

Thank you so much for responding! I was hoping to ask you directly how you solved the problem and I wasn't sure how to contact you. Anyway, I am using a borrowed copy of Indesign, so this will be the motivation I need to purchase my own software. But thanks for saving me hours of trying to figure out what the glitch was. Much appreciated.

Trish

there you go...!

;-)

oh yes,.. I spent a real hard time finding out, so I know pretty well how annoying this can be... glad beeing able to help you!

gj

Trish - I'm not inferring that you've been subject to bad karma for using a borrowed copy of InDesign but it is interesting to see how the cosmos works.

When one purchases the Adobe Design Collection (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign for $499 student / $999 retail) and gets all the manuals and satisfaction of respecting copyright law, you may not run into troubles like this.

It has been a great topic of discussion here and at adobe.com how betas and trials do not transfer their files well to the full versions being used at print shops. Your best bet is not to attempt any real production work on anything other than a licensed retail version.

- - picklefish - -

Well, pickle, I can't say I disagree with you. On the other hand it made sense for me to experiment with my project with someone else's software. I mean, it IS expensive, and I was concerned about two things: 1) would my project look good enough on Indesign to justify the switch? and 2) would I be able to handle the learning curve on ID?

In spite of running into the printing problem I was able to answer both of those questions, and now go ahead and purchase Indesign with no fear that it'll be a waste of money for me. (Yes I know they have a trial version but the minute you download it this clock starts ticking and I was in the middle of some other things and I didn't even have an instruction book to help me, which I rectified by the time I used the borrowed version)

It's an awful lot of money for a single person working on a single project to shell out, especially not knowing if I could even handle the software. Knowing now that I like the results and can pretty much get through things with the help of a manual (and forums like this one!) I don't mind making the investment.

I've been known to test drive automobiles, too!

Trish

When you test drive automobiles, does the dealer let you take it out for maore than 30 days?

I'm glad you found a tool you find worth investing in.

- - picklefish - -

Just a note. I do a 180 page coupon book with hi resolution images. When the book is complete (or just about) I cannot print to our printers as a single document. The file is just too large for the cache or whatever you want to call it. I print in sections. It works fine. Just in case once the app. is purchased, you still have problems printing a large file.

The large file thing should not be a problem as long as it prints to Acrobat Distiller.

Pickle, it's true no car dealer would allow me to keep a car 30 days. (But it normally doesn't take me that long to decide if I can operate the vehicle or like the car!)

I would like to rave about ID's features though. My document truly looks a heckuva lot better than it did in the old word processing program. I think the money spent on Indesign is money well spent -- I also fooled around with a borrowed Pagemaker version and am very glad I didn't decide to purchase that!

Trish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back