Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandem8

MIS
Sep 9, 2002
US
I am new to Citrix. Here is my situation, any help would be appreciated.

I have one Citrix server, Metaframe 1.8. All the client sites have one printer each. One machine at each site has the printer on it's LPT port. All other site machines use it as a network printer. They are Brother HL-1470N printers, all machines are W2K. I'm not sure why they picked brother printers, the setup occurred before my time.

The printers all have user-friendly names. I mapped each name to HP LaserJet 5. The printers auto-create, but seemingly at random the queue becomes jammed. The status of the job says "printing", but it does not. All jobs after that just pile up. To clear it out, I've been stopping/restarting the spooler, and manually clearing out the jobs. This works for a while, but it happens again.

Has anyone else used Brother printers? If so, any suggestions on a better driver? Do I have to make them all network printers on the Citrix box?

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. I have 3 Windows 2000 terminal servers running Citrix Metaframe 1.8. About once a day, sometimes more or less often (seemingly at random), a server will stop auto-creating printers for clients (I also cannot add a printer manually at these times). If I restart the print spooler service, all is well again (after the users log off and back on, so their printers are created). I need this to stop. I spend too much time during the day dealing with "I cannot print through Citrix" complaints. Thanks,

I'm also new to Citrix. We are using XPA 2 servers w/load balancing. Same problem here with the spooler shutting down. The vendor that did our set up directed me to a Microsoft article #Q324183. I have not had a chance to check it out yet. Give it a try and see if it can help you. Paul, PaulC@DandECenter.com.

Your situation is almost universal in the WIN NT 4.0 sp 6 METAFRAME 1.8 environment. There are a few issues here:

Printing generally and autocreated printers specifically just simply do not work as they should. To get it to work as well as possible:

1. Never use any printer driver that is not on the WINDOWS NT TSE INSTALLATION CD.

2. Whenever possible configure network printers rather than allowing autocreation of printers

3. It is vitally important to follow these rules. Otherwise you will have occurrences of: printing failure necessitating restart of the spooler; occasional server crashes ( sometimes when an autocreated printer with an improper driver auto-purges ) and occasional profound server slowdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back