Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing - iprint nals

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry712

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
GB
5 server farm running metaframe xp
the servers are just in a work group. the environment is totally controlled via gpo's through zen works . the full desktop is delivered by it is a nal shell with delivered apps in the window. the users are controlled via a dlu policy that is volatile - so the user logs in and then everything gets zapped when they leave

the printers i am force running a nal controlled by groups that are basically
IPRNTCMD -a ipp://printguy/horribledevice

these seem to work ok but i am concerened that it is squirting down everytime - is there anyway without the use of enabling a roaming profile that i can stop this squirt - basically what i want is a basic check of the printer.

oh just to throw abit in about why no icm (may work) - the nals i am using only run if on a terminal server so that they dont effect the user if on a pc but only in a citrix session.

or will i need to say sod it and use a roaming profile in the home drive but limitied what is held in here so it is only the root files

Hmm it has been a while since I had to deal with Nals and Zen. I am thinking that you might want to add the printers to the Citrix farm, the look like IP printers so you should be able to do it and then give them out based on groups. That would at least eliminate profiles.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

i want to control everything from one place though

adding ip printers to farm members wouldnt work as there is no link to the users etc and they dont exist as i am not using any ms users ie no AD or that - it's pure EDir

the users are removed at logout etc

appreciate the reply though

the reason i want the one printer representation is well is so i can utilse the same printers etc for non citrix users etc

I understand. I had forgot the users dissappear at end of session. Thought but they will belong to a group whilst they are on.

As I said I have not done the NAL and ZEN for a while, like about 6 years.

Cheers
Scott

Might be worth having a look at

This

Cheers
Scott

cheers

i seen the older version of this - they are doing it more or less the way i'm doing it.

i think i'm going to try a test group with roaming profs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back