Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing in MFXP 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix45

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
We're about to migrate our MetaFrame 1.8 farm to XP. The biggest problem with 1.8 was printing. Does MF XP still suffer from the same printing problems that 1.8 did? Anybody have any helpful tips or links that I should know about before I start my testing?

Thanks,
Chris

It's important to realise that the printing problems exist in the underlying Operating System - MetaFrame is merely a presentation layer server that sits on top.

So any printing issues you have "with MetaFrame 1.8", you will also have "with XP".

Fortunately Citrix decided to do something - because the perception is that the problem somehow lies within Citrix.

In XP Feature Release 1 or 2, Citrix released their Universal Printer Driver, which they'd worked on with HP and other printer manufacturers. In Feature Release 3, there's a new version that supports colour printing and other useful features.

Printer autocreation is improved - but still not quite perfect, and there are some useful printer management tools within XP's CMC (Citrix Management Console). The Feature Releases all improve on each other - looks like Citrix are at least still bothering to work on this one!

I put up an FAQ on printing - which is actually just a series of useful links. There is also a great free on-line book at which has a useful chapter on printing.

Hope this helps

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

We have always made our printers local to the Citrx servers. The printers resize on a print server and are shared. Then on the citrix server we add a local printer and set the port to be a local port pointed to \\printershare\sharename. Also, use the drivers on the Windows disk, not the newest. If there is not a driver for the printer, pick one close but stay using the drivers on the disk.

We have never had a print spooler failure or any problems since Metaframe 1.8. This is the way to go.. I can't say enough about how well this works.

I forgot to plug my FAQ on printing - and my FAQs on testing.

Good tip about only using the drivers that come on the Operating System CD - but it is possible to get other drivers working, with care.

#1 tip if you decide to try this, NEVER run the setup routine on a printer manufacturer's CD or floppy. Add a new printer and browse for the *.inf file on the media, then check the name of the printer on the client and compare it with the server.

With printer drivers, even more than application software, testing is absolutely crucial - not testing printer drivers can result in a crashed server and 80 simultaneous calls to the helpdesk...

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

If I wanted to be safe and use the Universal Print Driver for all printers, how do I go about doing this? Is there a link that explains this on Citrix's website?

Thanks,
Chris

I would seriously consider giving the local printer idea a try in a testing environment. Citrix Engineer is right about other drivers. You can get them to work if you are looking for specific features.

The biggest problem with drivers other than the OS supplied drives is permissions. For example, HP Deskjets install all sort of other tools and an app that run in the system tray that monitors colors and sets other attribs. When a new user tries to add access this printer, the OS tries to install that software to that user, usualy ending in problems and even if it did work, you would have a lot of wasted memory and processor overhead, not to mention profile bloat.

If the printer is added locally, every Local (ICA/RDP included) get all the features of the printer and any software added in the install, without the OS trying to install that software for each user or running into the permissions issues.

If you want all the features out of the box of the printer, Local is the way to go. Our big Xerox Docucentre printers can do double-sided, booklet format, and even staple the corners. It can feed to and from diffrent trays. All this is setup through the driver and software which is succesfuly running on our server farm!

...the third page of that .pdf is missing?

Is it possible to use the UPD when you install a printer locally on the Citrix server? Also, in order to add a driver to the farm, do you have to install the printer locally on a Citrix server?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,

I can't believe all what you lot are saying about printers!

With my 27 servers and over 1000 users, I've had 2 blue screens in twelve months that I can point to printing!

I constantly install drivers from web sites, not CD's. I aways try to get corporate drivers as they seem to work without a hitch.

I will agree that DeskJet CD's come with all the toolbox rubbish but as I install the corporate drivers, I never get a problem!

I've seen some issues with a couple of printers, mainly multi function ones but they aren't supported under 2000 Server so I'm not surprised!

I must also admit that when I move to SP2/FR2 I will implement the UPD to save me installing all these drivers!

W2K is far superior to NT4 with it's printing!

Just my views, don't shout at me too much!!!!!!

Cheers for now,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back