Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from VFP6 to a pdf file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonbar

Programmer
Jun 26, 2000
GB
Has anyone managed to print from vfp6 to a pdf file. When I set my printer to acrobat pdf writer it does produce an error message:
Error: undefined; OffendingCommand &15H
Flushing: rest of job (to end of file) will be ignored
Warning: Postscript error. No PDF file produced.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?????

[sig][/sig]

hmmm....

I print VFP reports to PDF frequently. I use PDF writer 3 and I think they are upto 4+ now.

You might try using the Adobe Distiler instead. I do this for large batch jobs. Set up a bogus Color PostScript printer. Set it to print to file. Adobe's Distiller works very well in this way. [sig]<p> Pete<br><a href=mailto:blindpete@mail.com>blindpete@mail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>What your mother told you is true! You will go blind! (from moonshine anyway)[/sig]

Try to find config/INI files for PDF printer and configure them properly. My friend did it well and it works. By such way you can also configure it to do not show any dialogs that is useful for background applciations. [sig]<p>Vlad Grynchyshyn<br><a href=mailto:vgryn@softserve.lviv.ua>vgryn@softserve.lviv.ua</a><br>[/sig]

I believe the the distller will also run in the background... but I have never tried before... Mine currrntly runs minimized and only checks for new output files every 4 hours. [sig]<p> Pete<br><a href=mailto:blindpete@mail.com>blindpete@mail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>What your mother told you is true! You will go blind! (from moonshine anyway)[/sig]

I print from FoxPro to PDF files all the time but I do not use Adobe. I use a PDF print driver from AMYUNI.
A source of mine thinks the error messge you stated is a out of memory condition. Do you have any idea how big the file is you are trying to create . Compaired to other files that were created before the error message. [sig]<p>David W. Grewe<br><a href=mailto:Dave@internationalbid.net>Dave@internationalbid.net</a><br>[/sig]

Hi,
I downloaded the amyuni drivers and used them to create pdf files. My problem is that when I append pages to create one document (for duplex printing) page two returns &quot;...error processing page. There was a problem reading this document&quot; AND &quot;...couldnt find font in resource dictionary...&quot;.

I'd love if these drivers would work 'cause that would solve all my problems, but i'm trying to be certain that they work before spending any money on purchasing the PDF Creator from Amyuni.

Anyone got any ideas ?

1. Set up a post script printer - any PCL printer will do and it is not necessary that you have it. You can choose probably a HP printer.
2. Then re-install the PDF (ABODE) again.
Things shall go free. I have done it in for a number of clients without any problem.

Ramani

Hi Ramani,

Could you be more specific in step 2 of your suggestion. Re-install PDF (Adobe) means Adobe Acrobat Reader or is it some other software and from where do we get it. Sorry for being a slow-processor on this topic.

Also is there any setup needed to be done in selected printer's property?

Thanks

Firdaus

firdaus_ahmed@hotmail.com

shaikhfirdausahmed ,

Hi... have you tried the pdf drivers from amyuni.com to print your pdf files ? These drivers work like a charm. You can download the demo version from their website. They will provide you with instructions on getting the drivers to work from your application.

I have some functions that i use for getting and setting PDF files, you can try these:
FUNCTION NTKernel
Declare Long GetVersion in WIN32API
RETURN (GetVersion() > 0)

***********************************************************************************

FUNCTION PDFIni
Declare Long GetVersion in WIN32API
LOCAL strReturn

IF NTKernel() THEN
DO CASE
CASE FILE(&quot;C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32x86\2\PDFDD.dll&quot;)
strReturn = &quot;C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32x86\2\__pdf.ini&quot;
CASE FILE(&quot;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32x86\2\PDFDD.dll&quot;)
strReturn = &quot;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32x86\2\__pdf.ini&quot;
ENDCASE
ELSE
strReturn = &quot;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PDFWRITR.INI&quot;
ENDIF
RETURN (strReturn)

***********************************************************************************

FUNCTION GetPDFFile
LOCAL RTVL, strPDFFileName,strINITemp

Declare Long GetPrivateProfileStringA in WIN32API String lpSection, String lpSetting, ;
String lpDefault, String @ lpReturnedString, Long nSize, String lpFileName
strPDFFileName = SPACE(255)
strINITemp = IIF(NTKernel(),PDFIni(),&quot;C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI&quot;)
rtvl = GetPrivateProfileStringA(&quot;Acrobat PDFWriter&quot;, &quot;PDFFileName&quot;, &quot;&quot;, @strPDFFileName, ;
255, StrINITemp)
IF RTVL > 0 .AND. !EMPTY(strPDFFileName)
IF CHR(0) $ strPDFFileName
strPDFFileName = LEFT(strPDFFileName, AT(CHR(0), strPDFFileName)-1)
ENDIF
ENDIF
IF CHR(0) $ strPDFFileName
strPDFFileName = LEFT(strPDFFileName, AT(CHR(0), strPDFFileName)-1)
ENDIF
Clear DLLs
RETURN strPDFFileName

FUNCTION SetPDFFile
LPARAMETERS strPDFFile
Declare Long WritePrivateProfileStringA in WIN32API AS SetPrivateProfileString ;
String lpSection, String lpSetting, String lpValue, String lpFileName
rtvl = SetPrivateProfileString(&quot;Acrobat PDFWriter&quot;, &quot;PDFFileName&quot;, strPDFFile, ;
PDFIni())
Clear DLLs
RETURN RTVL

Enjoy,
Art

I downloaded the drivers and I see them, jsut not sure how to get started. I have created a bogus printer to use as my test and set the port to print to file. Now What Exactly do I need to do next??? I would appreciate it if you could be a little specific instead of general. Do I need to write code, or is it in the printer selection, that is not what I am sure about.

Thank You in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back