Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from Unix to NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

treecody

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
US
Hi,

How do I print from my unix server running SCO 5.0.5, to a microsoft NT printer? Do I need to add SCO's advance printing module? I used to be able to print using the HP printing in SCO but we have since replaced our jetdirect devices with Lexmark Optra S1855 printers. I have entered the Lexmark printer IP addresses in the /etc/hosts file and also the /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv files to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks..treecody

Hi,
that shoud not be a problem.
Just install the printer on the NT-computer with an printer-spooler. This computer handle as printer-server now!
On the unix-computer you need to sent the printer-jobs to the NT-computer now.

I did it this way.

Install Microsoft tcp/ip printing (properties - network neighborhood) on the NT machine.
Included in that package are the lpd-server which makes the nt-server look like a unix-printserver. It´s nothing you notice though. It´s just there.

share the printer you´ve added on the nt server. I call it thebestprinterintheworld in this example.

the nt-servers name is whatacrappyosmicrosoftisdeveloping in this example.

Now go to scoadmin - Printers - Print Manager.
in the menu above you´ll find printer. go there and choose add remote - unix.

as host write the ip of whatacrappyosmicrosoftisdeveloping
and as printer choose thebestprinterintheworld

try printing to it using this command:
lp -d thebestprinterintheworld [file you want to print]

One last thing. Don´t use those silly hostnames that I used. /Sören

Keep in mind that the Lexmark printers probably use port 9100 for printing. You might need to review the SCO tech notes regarding printing to port 9100 (particularly if you want to print directly at the printers as opposed to printing through an NT box... I find that I take NT boxes up and down much more often and I'd rather my users can still print independently of microsoft. See the following URL:

:
or

TA #105327

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back