Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from Mac via Windows shared printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNW2

Technical User
Feb 10, 2009
GB
Hi,

I have an OSX 10.4 Mac that's connected to a LAN with Windows shares on it. The Mac can connect to the windows shares without a problem and can also connect to shared printers on the network. The printers are shared from XP Pro machines that are connected to a domain.

When the Mac tries to print to the shared printers the print is just random characters and never stops unless the printer is powered off and the job cleared from the PC's spooler. The printer itself is an HP Officejet K7100.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

R

Sounds like a print driver problem. I would try installing the Mac driver for the printer, and then pointing it to the shared printer. My reasoning is this,, all windows pcs use the same driver, while the driver may be different coming from a Mac. Do the printers have their own IP address, or are they shared thru the windows pcs?

Hi,

The printers are connected to Windows PC's via USB and shared from the PC.

I'd agree that it's a driver issue. Just not sure how to work around it.

Thanks

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back