Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from AS400 to LPD on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironman2401

Technical User
Jul 27, 2002
US
Administering AS400 isn't what I've been trained to do, but I need to solve this problem fast. We need to move some dumb terminals over to Windows based PCs running TN5250 emulators. That part is no problem for me; we are using NetManage's Rumba to accomplish this. The problem is that the dumb terminals have printers attached to their parallel ports. I know that theoretically if I hook up the printer to the PC and then run a LPD on the PC I should be able to have the AS400 print to the windows printers. I have the LPD software all figured out I think. I just need to know what to do to configure the AS400 to create a new printer that users can select from the AS400 that will send its' jobs to the windows printer. So what exactly do I have to do to the AS400 to make this work?

Hope I'm understanding this correctly.

We do this here using a software package that does the emulation (BosAnova TCP/IP). Anyway, I just needed to create a printer session that thinks it's a 3812 device type.

From there it's just an emulation, just like the PC terminals.

No need for LPD on Windows. J.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back