Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing for UNIX service in W2K Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyvernews

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,

I use the Windows Component "Print for Unix" option for LP printing for my IBM AIX (UNIX) systems so they can pass printing request to the Windows Print queues.

Occassionaly the AIX systems have communications problems to see the Windows Print queues and thus stops sending requests.

At the moment to resolve the issue, i remove the print for Unix option within "Add/remove programs | Windows Components" area and then check it back on to start the LP process again.

Is there a Windows "service" for this instead of removing and adding back this function?

is there a better way in restarting this function?

Any queries or ideas on this, let me know.

Regards
Andy

Hi Guys,

Did a comparision on the services list with the print for unix option on and without.

The difference is the following service:

TCP/IP Print Server Provides a TCP/IP-based printing service that uses the Line Printer protocol. Started Manual Local System

Can any one confirm this?

I will test this myself anyway... so any other help is appreciated.

Regards
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back