Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing flash/giff browser style sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladykira

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
GB
hi
hopefully one of you master html ers can help me out there. I have got a site that contains some flash samples on a few pages, for those who dont have flash they automaticly get the gif version of the site. problem is printing. i need to print the gif versions even if the viewer has flash, how can i specify which version to print (using the print button in the browser bar)
Any ideas

Kira

Hi Kira,

This is what I saw somewhere when I did a keyword search (it was a discussion about to print a doc-file instead of the web-file or something) :

<link rel=&quot;alternate&quot; media=&quot;print&quot; href=&quot;printversion.doc&quot;>

This goes in your HEAD, and when the user chooses PRINT on your webpage, the printer will automatically print the *.doc instead of the webpage.

I believe they said that it only worked in IE4+ and NN5+

maybe it works for you with (I didn't test anything)

<link rel=&quot;alternate&quot; media=&quot;print&quot; href=&quot;printversion.html&quot;>

Erik

I really need this to work in all browsers and on all platforms (within reason, N6 not inc) and there are 350 pages so i dont really want to create a printable .doc for every page. Are there any other alternatives.

cheers for your help

Kira

is there interaction in the flash? if not, why use the flash at all, just use the gif. also, why can't you use the print features within flash for it? i may be way off base and if so, let me know. i just dont think this should be treated as a complex problem when there may be a simple solution...

There is interaction in the flash, quite a bit, and it is the premium version. However, people who do not have flash player and work in big corporations (ie are not allowed to download anything to there workstations) need to see the gif version (in other words the ugly version) of the site.
The flash print preferences are a bit useless in this case even if you do have flash as I need the gif version to print out as the flash uses space saving devices.
Thanks or all the suggestions though, I am still trying to work it out so any other ideas you get I would love to hear them

Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back