Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Distorted on Network Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

John0616

Technical User
Dec 15, 2007
US
We have several new XP Pro machines with wide screen (16:9) monitors. In the past we had always used standard (4:3) monitors on all of our machines. Since upgrading we now notice that when we print anything from our wide screen machines to a network printer that is attached to a machine with a standard 4:3 monitor the printing is distorted and pushed together--It appears to be some kind of compensation for the display aspect ratio difference. We first noticed this a few year ago when we purchased an IBM laptop with a wide screen and we have been searching for information about this off and on, but so far we have found nothing. Any chance that anyone else out there has seen this issue and maybe can tell us if there is any way to correct the print output on network printers?

Never seen such, but here are some thoughts/ideas:

1. Make sure you don't have the printer(s) set to "fit to" X number of pages, or scale to a certain perentage. Perhaps that's throwing it off.

2. Try uninstalling, deleting from "print server" in Windows if necessary, and reinstalling each offending printer.

3. Check the web for updated printer drivers.

You say their printing over a network. Are these printers network printers themselves, or are you using a print server in between? If so, make sure the print server is up to date on firmware or software if it's a computer being used as a print server.

Also, check for compatibility between all printers and whatever versions of Windows you're running on each machine.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thank-you for your responses. We now realize that this behavior seems really to be isolated only to a few applications--Retail Pro for sure possibly Business Works but I can't test that one right now to be sure, but not anything like Word, Excel, Notepad, Outlook, etc. This, unfortunately, probably points to this being an application issue rather than Windows--in other words I may need to contact the software makers about this...although still open to any other input if anyone else has seen what I am talking about. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time....

It's no waste of time, really, b/c we're all constantly learning. Please update the thread once you've talked with the software vendors, and/or resolved the issue. If it ends up somehow not being application related, then maybe you can get some more ideas here.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back