Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing disappears into the ether RH 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoNZ

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
I have 2 machines running RedHat 8. One of them was upgraded from RH7.2 and has an HP LaserJet attached. This machine acts as a print server to a couple of Windows2000 workstations using Samba. This still works fine.

The second RH8 machine will not print. I set the printer up using the KDE print setup tool. I defined the printer as a Unix (lpd) printer and it finds it OK on the other server and installs the drivers etc. If I try to print anything, even a Test Page from the print manager, it just disappears. There are no error messages at either machine.

Any advise on further troubleshooting would be much appreciated.

I had similar trouble and gave up using KDE. I am now using the CUPS system.

I used the printer switch tool and now I have control of the printers and the jobs attached to them.

Good Luck

One Code to rule them all, One code to bind them.

You should check your print queue. The jobs are probably still there. lpstat -t or lpstat -a will diplay the queue. If there are jobs pending, you should cancel them, restart lpd, then send a fresh job. lpstat will tell you the status of the latest job and if any errors occured. You can backtrack from there. TO cancel a job, just type cancel <job#>. Alternatively, you could remove the jobs from the queus in /var/spool/lpd/<print spool name>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back