Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Detail Record Fields horizontally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgandr

Programmer
May 10, 2002
US
I need to build a report from a query that has 3 tables joined, however I would like the 2nd level grouping to go accross the top instead of down. ex.

Table 1
-------
Contract #
AffiliateCode
CustFName
CustLName
Loan #

Table 2
-------
ExceptionID
ExceptionCode
ExceptionDesc
ExceptionType

Table 3
-------
ConExceptionID
ExceptionID <-- Foreign Key
Contract# <-- Foreign Key

So the query I use the report has these 3 tables joined. What I want to do is have the report group it by Affiliate and then by a specific ExceptionType. So there would be 5 items for ExceptionType &quot;FireIns&quot; that I would like to display the Contract # if they have a &quot;FireIns&quot; exception. They can have more than 1 &quot;FireIns&quot; Exception but the way that it is set up, it will automatically make it so the reports reads as such

Affiliate: FKNB
Contract # CustName Loan# Exc Item Exc Type
123456 John Doe 9999999 Application FireIns
Binder FireIns
Missing FireIns

What I'd rather have is

Affiliate: FKNB
Contract # CustName Loan# Exc Item for &quot;FireIns&quot;
123456 John Doe 9999999 Application Binder Missing

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? Thanks

I do not see why you couldn't create a subreport for the lines you want going across and make it a 3 column report, going across and then down. So basically your main report will be on the left and your subreport will be on the right.

Yes, this can be accomplished witha little bit of code.

1) Group the report as you mention. Be sure you have a GroupHeader and a GroupFooter for the ExceptionType.

2) The labels for data fields from the Contract# line need to go in the GroupHeader; the actual data fields need to go in the GroupFooter, not the Detail section. The Detail section needs to be not visible and must have the ExceptionDesc field as a control.

3) The textbox for the ExcItem must be unbound (no DataSource). Name it something that make sense like txtExc.

4) At the module level, create a string variable, mstrExc.

5) In the code for the Detail Format section, add the line:
mstrExc = mstrExc & &quot;, &quot; & [ExceptionDesc] Be sure to use whatever you called the field in the Detail section within those brackets.

6) In the code for the GroupFooter Format section, add: txtExc = MID(mstrExc,2) This will put the conctenated result of the grouping into the data field and lop off the leading &quot;, &quot; ; you should end up with Application, Binder, Missing

7) In the code for the GroupFooter Print section, add: mstrExc = &quot;&quot; . This will clear out the variable for the next Contract.

That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back