Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing contents of a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndalli

Programmer
Nov 6, 1999
MT
Hi,

CR 8.5

I am new to Crystal Reports and I am finding a difficulty to print all the contents of an RTF file through CR.

Actually I am finding a difficuty printing the contents of any file, RTF, TXT, DOC.

Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks in advance

And can the DSN be used in any other application such as MS Aceess?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

If what you mean is that you are using OLE to embed a document and the entire contents isn't displayed nor printed, it's because Crystal is limited to 1 page of an OLE embedded object.

If this isn't the concern, please describe how you've included this file in CR.

-k

Basically all I want is to print the entire contents of a file, be it a txt file or RTF file.

I have to use Crystal reports since I need to include certain Headers and Footers which have to be the same as other reports within the company, so a direct print from the notepad, for example, is not a solution.

In other forums, people said that for RTFs, it is possible to send them through a MSACCESS table (Memo field), which is good enough, but rather untidy, besides slow for nothing.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

And can the DSN be used in any other application such as MS Aceess?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

I am not sure about working with the DSNs. I am calling the reports through VB6, i.e. create the report as if it is a part of VB.

My question was to find iut of you had tested the DSN in some external application other than crystal reports. If the answer is no, we don't know if the DSN itself is bad, or if the problem lies within crystal reports, or if the problem lies with VB (which you had never mentioned you were using until your last post).

Open up crystal as a stand alone tool, not as a VB project, and see if you can write a simple report using this DSN. After that please post your findings.

Ok,

Now I think I am following you.

So, I did create a number of reports from which I selected records from MSACCESS and displayed them successfully onto the report. Besides this I also have reports where data is being passed just through parameters. All these were done using VB6 (sorry for not mentioning this before).

In other words I do not think there are any problems with this regard. My main question is how can I pass the contents of a file (txt or rtf) to a CR.

Many thanks for your patience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back