Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing barcodes in postscript

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemo

Programmer
Apr 9, 2003
US

I'm going to need to generate some Code39 barcodes in postscript.

I've been looking at GNU-barcode since this seems to serve what I need to accomplish.

I plan on developing a printer interface script for SCO OpenServer 5.0.x (windows folks would call this a 'driver'). I'm going to send some plain text output to this printer and have this interface script disseminate the data and create postscript form data and images based on the content of that data using awk,sed, and whatever else I need to accomplish the task. I will identify a job marker inside the data stream, and then will be searching for data in another directory to include some image information (Thanks Tom for the radii routine!), I will also find within this data invoice and account information that I wish to create a barcode for. It looks like I could use GNU-barcode called from within my script to create postscript output of a barcode to be included, but if there is a different way I'm open to it.

Unix and the entire mix of postscript utilities on that platform are alien to me; sorry I can't help you with those. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

On comp.lang.postscript, there are quite a few Unix-savvy folks.

There are PostScript barcode fonts, however. A Google search should turn them up.

Thomas D. Greer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back