Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing bandwidth??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma99

MIS
Aug 31, 2001
US
Had a question about printing bandwidth.
Now I know that each session can range anywhere from 10k to 20k for Citrix. Do those figure include printing or does it go up with "heavy" or "big" print jobs?

Or is more like 10-20k for sessions plus 10 or 20k more for big print jobs or heavy printing?

Just wondering.

Thanks guys!

From what I've seen, Citrix will only use 10-20k, however, if a big print job is sent, it still travels across that same 10-20. On big print jobs, we have had user sessions slow to an almost stop because the print job is consuming almost the whole alloted pipe that Citrix is using. Mike Brown CCA

I'm fairly certain that you will only see problems with clients slowing to a crawl during printing when you have limited bandwidth. Ie dial-up or slow VPN etc etc. The ICA protocol will scale above the typical 10-20kps if it can. Although I'm not sure of it actual limit, 10-20kps is a typical average bandwidth utilisation. It is possible to use a device such as a packeteer to tune the amount of band width each channel within the ica packet consumes if you throttle down the ica bandwidth availability for the printer channel then your users will be able to continue working. The down side is that of course your print jobs will take longer. Also consider upgrading to metaframe xp which includes the ability to alter printer bandwidth out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back