Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing as different user doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibbet

MIS
Jan 8, 2002
NL
Probably something small, but annoying...
I have a printer recently installed on a PC running w2000pro. I installed it as admin. and it ran like a clock. Then I shared the printer so that the user could print from it using another PC. Tested this and it works fine. But (!) if the user logs onto the PC with the printer attached, he cannot print! The file is sent, but the printer-monitor program doesn't appear. I checked all the policies, and the user has all rights for the printer. Even went into regedt32 and tried to set all the policy options remotely belonging to printing to the user. But it still doesn't work! Any idea?

DumbTibbet.

Hi Tibbet,

There could be a few things here, when you shared the printer, what OS was the client you were sharing it to? make sure that this OS has a driver to go through the PC you are using as a server.

You could try installing Install network printer wizard to the machine that is not printing (if your printer is a HP with a network connectivity card):

Go through the install, and then go to specify printer by address option.

Another thing you can try is downloading the printer again, and redirecting the port to the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back