Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing a large word doc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cia2a

Technical User
Aug 8, 2000
US
I have an 84 page word document, with no manual page breaks, just a document with red line changes.
When I try to print is stops after page 8 and word closes. I have 64 meg ram.
Other than printing out in sections what can be done

My guess is that it is not a Word problem, but a Windows problem. There is a counter that appears on the status line (bottom of screen) when a document is being queued to print. If it counts to 84, but printing stops after 8 pages, there is a problem in how Windows is communicating with the printer.

Get into the printer properties. (Click the Start button, click Settings and select Printers. Right click on your printer and choose Properties.) If the setting is to spool, try changing it to send the file directly to the printer.

(Note: if that works, you might want to change it back unless you are frequently printing large documents, because this setting does not let you do other tasks while printing in the 'background'. - sort of ties up your system.

Here's another choice (though it should be used if you can't resolve it any other way).

I had a large Word document which would automatically close seconds after I opened it. It would get to about page 2 and do this. Our solution ended up being to open it in Word Pad, save it, and then reopen it in Word. It does lose all its formatting, however. For instance, if you use cropped screen captures, it will revert back to the uncropped versions.

Linda Adams
Garridon@aol.com
I'm a professional writer, published internationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back