Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing 8.5 x 11 document on 8.5 x 11 paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippogriff

Technical User
May 11, 2006
US
Good day,

I am creating a magazine the will be 8.5 by 11 inches. The graphics and text will go to the edge of the page. Of course my printer cannot print to the edge of the page. However, I would like to show the entire document when it is printed. So, is there a way to set the scale of the document so that the printer will print everthing on a page? It wont be to scale but that's ok.

Is there also a way to print the edge of the page (black border) that you seen on the screen?

Thank you.

...in your print setup you find an option to scale to fit, have this enabled and also crop marks enabled...

...the black border you refer too in the indesign document window is not printable, the only solution will be to add a stroked box to each page in your document...

...as I am a prepress worker myself, do avoid doing this in a cmyk colour to avoid it being imaged to plate. Either just stick to using crop marks, which in my opinion look cleaner anyway, or, create a custom spot colour and name it something like "page edge" and use that on your pages borders, set this to overprint too...

...another possibility is to make your custom border a non-printing object, then when you set up to print your pages to your printer, select the "print non-printing objects" option...

Andrew

Unless you have one of teh newer printers that can print to the edge of teh papaer (these are usually inkjet, non postscript photo printers) the simple answer is no you can't print to the edge.

In your print dialogue (you might have to access the actual printer, not just Indesign print window) select something like "scale to printer margins".

If you want you can then trim the pages back to teh border using a common paper trimmer from someplace like Staples. The pages will just be smaller than normal.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back