Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printing 2 reports per page

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnice9

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2003
US
I have a report that is custom sized to 8.5 by 5.5 (half letter). What I need is to print 2 reports per page so that it outputs to a custom form with a perforation in the middle. I have tried to reset the page number after 2 which works and then create a page break when page = 2 which isn't working. I am using CR9. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

C.Nice
RealTime Information Technology Inc.

DETAILS....DETAILS....WE want Details!!!

You don't want 2 reports/page...You can only run one REPORT at a time.

You want 2 mini pages (groupings) repeated per page is my GUESS.

It all depends on your report as to how difficult this is....hence the need for details!

OK, I will GUESS the worst case...several details are printed/mini page

so your report looks like this

Group 1 header
Group 2 header
details (several details but not too many to exceed a mini page)
Group 2 footer
Group 1 footer

LET US ASSUME that you are printing the 2 headers and the footers are suppressed.

You fix the size of the header sections and then decide on the maximum size for the maximum number of detail lines you will generate.

Let us say you can generate 1 - 4 details (it is really easy if there is only one detail (ie. a label). So then let us say you have 4" of space that you can allocate to details...then you make 4 equally sized detail subsections.

The first subsection will be filled with detail 1 data
If there is no more data...the other subsections will be printed with no data to maintain position on the paper....otherwise they are suppressed.
On the second detail the first subsection is suppressed and the second detail subsection is filled...if that is it then the other 2 subsections are printed less data...this continues for a max of 4 details

Group One footer can be used so that your spacing is good to start the next mini-page (you don't suppress it and tweak the size til it positions properly (you suppress the report/page headers and footers.

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

I apologize for the lack of details but was thinking it was just me with my page break error and missed the obvious which is that "You can only run one REPORT at a time." OK, what I have is a rather detailed report card (please check my info to know that I am not a student).
This report consists of a page header which includes specific student data like ID, grade, homeroom and so on, 3 groups all of which have the headers and footers suppressed, a detail section listing the classes, grades, absences, etcetera, that is limited in size by the size of the report footer which also includes student specific data.. Note that as the year goes on the number of classes to be shown in the details section grows by the semesters and classes completed and I prefer to have the space left in the detail area for the beginning semesters to ensure consistent formatting. I have been able to cram all the necessary data into this small space of half a letter but as I attempted to say previously I need to be able to print 2 mini pages per page. I am using a SQL server database in a ASP application and to be honest don’t understand how I can utilize multiple detail sections for my needs. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

C.Nice
RealTime Information Technology Inc.

ok...so my guess was pretty close.

This report consists of a page header which includes specific student data like ID, grade, homeroom and so on, 3 groups all of which have the headers and footers suppressed, a detail section listing the classes, grades, absences, etcetera, that is limited in size by the size of the report footer which also includes student specific data..

so...your report is set up like this

Report header (suppressed)
Page header (student data)
Group1 header (suppressed) (unknown field)
Group2 header (suppressed) (unknown field)
Group3 header (suppressed) (unknown field)
Details
Group 3 footer (suppressed)
Group 2 footer (suppressed)
Group 1 footer (suppressed)
Page footer (suppressed
Report footer (student data)

This is how you should show your report to us so we can understand what is going on.

As it stands you will only be able to run this report for a single student...I imagine a parameter of student ID to generate the report....your Page Header information is coming from the first record that is returned and your report footer info is coming from the last record.

In order to do what you want you will have to restructure your report and input via parameter a range or series of Student ID's

I would structure your report this way

Report header (suppressed)
Page header (student data)
Group1 Header (student data)
Group2 header (suppressed) (unknown field)
Group3 header (suppressed) (unknown field)
Group4 header (suppressed) (unknown field)
Details
Group4 footer (suppressed)
Group3 footer (suppressed)
Group2 footer (suppressed)
Group1 footer (student data) (new page after every even count of group 1)
Page footer (suppressed)
Report footer ((suppressed)

Now you have a chance at printing several student cards/page

ok...now for the size of the sections

The Group 1 header and footer student info should be unvarying so let us say there is 1" of material for each section.

so your report card would look like this physically

--------------------------------------------------------
/\ Student Info header
|
1"
|
\/
/\ Student details
|
|
3.5"
|
|
\/
/\ Student Info Footer
|
1"
|
\/

Now how many "lines of detail are available to you is dependant on the font you use. Usually an 8 font is the smallest readable font for practical pusposes.

Once you establish that then you create one subsection of detail for every record of detail printed (one record of detail may in fact be composed of 2 lines)...so that the 3.5" of detail space will be totally used. (ie. if on detail record takes 0.5" then you have room for 7 detail records)

We can control which section of the detail will be printed with each detail record and make Blank detail sections fill the balance of the sections that are not used.

the footer for Group 1 can also be sized to position the printer for the second record...after the second student ID we can have the printer jump to a new page .

If this sounds ok to you we can proceed with details of formulas etc to do this....you have to provide details on the groups involved and the number of detail sections you can handle.

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back