Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printhead 840/850 ink cooking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

corquist

Technical User
Oct 25, 2003
NL
dohe printhead of the 840 fits the 850? The 850 I have has the yellow ink turning into green, and I have a 840 printhead on the shelf.

According to Xerox the printheads are not the same. As for your ink cooking and changing color, I've seen this many times before. It's usually because the color sits in it's liquid state and hot for too long, because you're not printing much with that color. You can try running solid fill pages and get fresh wax in the printhead. But I haven't seen a resolution to this, as the heat does tend to damage some of the color pigments, causing it to change. I've also seen the magenta turn a brownish color.

Timothy N. Couch
A1 Printech
Anchorage, AK

Phaser 840 error 09.007.42.16148
is this because I'm trying to fool the printer into thinking it has enough color ink by propping back the pusher with a glass vial? has anyone come up with a way to persuade the printer to just be a B&W printer? thanks.

The 09,007.42 error is a yellow Ink Jam Error, and yes, this error would be associated with your glass vial. What the error means is that the heater is coming on to melt the ink, but is not dripping into the printhead. I'd suspect that you are completely out of yellow, and the glass is not touching the heater. Because the printer thinks it has ink, it tries to refill the printhead.

Timothy N. Couch
A1 Printech
Anchorage, AK

I am trying to 'tek' my tektronics with the same error. 09,007.42 I have installed all new inks, and keep getting the ink stuck problem. I took the loader out and cleaned the areas where the ink is to be melted. It seems like the ink is not getting melted, I can touch the melting plate and it doesnt seem hot enough. When we took apart the loader, the yellow melting plate, the pointed portion had a crack in it. Will this cause the error as well? It appears to have circuits in it possibly as a heating coil. Am I on the right track here? Am I going to have to replace the entire ink loader part 650-4141 to fix this or is it possible to find just the ink heater part only?
Thanks,
Joe Wells

I've never seen the ink melters actually crack. Biggest thing I've ever seen with these is either the stick gets jammed in there when it's pretty small, and doesn't make contact with the heaters.

As for fixing your heater, Xerox only sells it as a complete Ink Loader, so if yours is in fact bad, you'll need to get loader.

Timothy N. Couch
A1 Printech
Anchorage, AK

I was able to take things apart, and do further testing. I probed the wiring out of the power supply to the ink heaters and no voltage is present. I only found one glass type fuse on the power supply unit and it was good. There are supposed to be three of them and rather than damage anything I would rather like to know what I am looking for as for the other two fuses. I imagine my issue is that at this point not the ink heater itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back