Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printers not listing in AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpresley

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2002
US
I have a win2k domain set up with AD, DNS and DHCP up and running. When I set up print devices, i check the box to include in AD, but I can't find them when I try to find a printer. Any thoughts?

Dave Presley
Network & Systems Administrator
Premier, Air Academy & Thomas Jefferson High Schools
dpresley@qwest.net

MCP

I had this similar problem and I found that if I removed the check for "List in Directory" then Apply. Then Checked it again (re-listing it). It then showed up in the search. Don't know why I had to do that but it worked.
Maybe that will work for you.

Printers do not show up automatically in active directory. To find printers in active directory you need to do a search for them. So open up active directory and go to the top and find the menu bar with action, and select find. Next pick that your looking for printers and start your search. After the printer is found move it to where you want in your active directory tree.

Hope this helps.

Do you have to search for them in AD, sort them how you want them before people in the domain will be able to search for them?

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

MCP

No, the user can search for the printer using their search util ie Start->Search then "Printer on the network". Then tell it to search in "Entire Directory" just tell it to search on '*'. That should list all the printers in AD. You souldnt need to add them to any OU in the AD tree first.

Yeah.. thats what i thought. It's not working. :( I'll try what he recommended and post back here.

Thanks a ton

Dave Presley
dpresley@qwest.net

MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back