Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer stuck on deleting

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyjon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2002
NZ
Hi we running a windows 2000 server and windows 2000 professional on our computers. The problem is when someone sends something to the printer and finds it too large (say 70 pages, I work at a school and have a limit to the amount students can print out), they cancel the print job while it is still queing in print manager. Then it displays the "deleting" message in the print manager and holds up every other print job, no matter how long we wait it doesn't delete the job.

A) Why does it stall and not delete the print job and allow the other qued print jobs to print?

B) How do I get rid of the print job and allow the others to print?

Thanks for any help.

I'm having a very similar problem. When a slow web page or report is printed, the job times out. The user then tries to delete the job, and the result is the same as above.

I haven't gone through the error logs for clues, yet. Based on some other problems, that will be my next step when I go in tommorrow.

Any other ideas or info?

Thanks,
jsterkel

A little more information - I can stop and start the print spooler service, which will eliminate the offending job. This eliminates the problem for a while.

Guys

1. Sounds like the print queue might be filling up the systems drive. The queue likely resides in C:\WINNT\System32\spool\ on your server. If drive C: does not have a significant amount of free space, printing can slow and even crash the server. You can change the location of the spool folder (i.e. to a larger drive) easiest from the Printers control panel item on your server... go to the File menu and select Server Properties, then select the advanced tab.

2. If a job will not manually delete, restart the Print Spooler service on your server.

Mitch Huey
Systems Engineer

Thanks for the tip, Propag8! Unfortunately, that's not it, but I appreciate you taking the time.

I just checked the drive space - over 8 Gig free on the C: drive ( the spool directory is on the C: drive ). I also checked the error logs, but didn't see anything helpful.

I've changed the spooling to print after the last page is spooled, so that may help.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back