Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Sharing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSponge

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
Here is one thats stumped me!

I installed some Epson D68 printers at work on some client machines,

set up sharing, so that other users can see them, works fine but will not print from another machine?

the other machines, will see and connect to the shared printer, and it will say "printing"

but nothing prints out?

it prints out fine on the machine where the printer is installed?

can anyone shed any light?

A+,Network +

What operating system(s) are in use? Check for any issues with firewalls (Norton, Zone Alarm etc), not allowing printer data through on both host and client machines.

When you installed the driver software on the "remote" machines, did it give you any option to "print test page"? If yes, did it work?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

windows XP Pro on all machines, no firewall issues, other shared printers work fine..

yes it asked me to print a test page, and said "prinitng"

but nothing...

thanks

A+,Network +

If there are other printer drivers on the client machines, consider possible driver conflicts. Do you have a client machine which has no other printer drivers installed?

Check with Epson for an update, later driver release, or tech bulletin on possible network problems for this printer.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

hmm i search epson's site and there is no d68 listed how old is this printer and also make sure thats the correct model so we can help with drivers and so on for you

Remember free things are fun but they can come with an emotional price tags..

got the box in front of me,

its an Epson Stylus D68

A+,Network +

Explain the steps you took when installing the printer on the client machines.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Trying to think of this from memory, because I had the same problem with an Epson printer.

You may have to install the drivers from the cd (as if it is hooked up to a printer port). Then under printer properties, change the printer port to see the shared printer. Then make sure you uncheck the box to monitor the ink levels.

Well, rather than run the install CD for my Epson (different model), I forced it to look for the appropriate drivers on the provided CD. That worked fine, and I didn't have all the extra Epson programmes telling me this that and the other whenever I printed!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Your right GOAOZ about the unnecessary stuff.
When the CD starts up choose the drivers (only) if that is an option, or run the Add Printer wizard and navigate to the drivers on the CD.

tried all these, thankyou

tried on 3 different machines,

correct and latest drivers installed, on networked machines,

port is the correct virtual USB 002,

I cant configure the port though as its says its not supported,

sharename is correct, and all PCs can see the printer, and spool a document, but nothing prints..

this is quite fustrating...

thanks for your advice so far..

A+,Network +

Try turning off print spooling.
Let it print directly to the printer.

Might sound noobish but did you make sure that this network printer is set as the default printer? sometimes particular programs like to point at an image creator / microsoft thing rather then the shared printer.

Sounds like you ruled this out if you clicked print test page on that printer. Did you 'Browse' and find the printer, or did you type it in via \\server\printer ?

I typed \\server\printer

and it found it straight away

A+,Network +

Pretty sure that there is a Fax Driver that has to be started as a service. I think it's called EPSFAX or something like that. Just start that, and the install will run.

Happens when you delete, and then re-install a printer.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Nope

No such service Im afraid,

installing isnt the problem, everything runs smooth untill you wait for the print job to come out,

nothing happens,

A+,Network +

Hi, not sure if you've fixed this yet but i had the same problem with the epson D68. To fix this go to the machine that has the printer attached, right click on the printer and select printer preferences, then select the maintenance tab, then the speed and progress button at the bottom of the page. Then select monitoring preferences and tick the box that says allow monitoring of shared printers.

This will allow you to print from all of your shared printers. The print monitor needs to be enabled, this is the most annoying thing i have ever found, have spent a week tearing my hair out before coming across this.

Best of luck

Im sure I tried this on the client machines,

I will check the machine its installed on,

Ill let you know, thanks

A+,Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back