Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Setup Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskhs

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have replaced a damaged Jetdirect card. Using hp Jetadmin I am trying to install a Laserjet 5si onto our network. I enter in the Print server name and the context, then the printer name with the context, and lastly the queue name and the volume. It all goes along nicely untill the very end then I get an "undefined error". Here it is, ****Unable to install the printer. Please power cycle your printer and, if applicable, the external Jetdirect print server. Then restart this application. If you need more details, click 'More Information'.**** The more information part simply tells me that this is an undefined error and not much else. If anyone has any ideas I'm open for suggestions. Oh yeah, power cycling the printer and starting again does not help.

Thanks

Sounds like the new Jetdirect card still isn't working. Can you ping its IP? Can you print to it directly?

yes I can ping the Ip and can print directly, I think there may be some bindery reference that may be screwing things up however i'm not very familiar with bindery mode or even how to check this aspect of it out.

Have you tried using NWAdmin to create the printer? JetAdmin may not have rights to create NDS objects.

Are you trying to use the old queue name and print server name? I have had a problem with that too. What I did was delete the old ones in NWAdmin then have the jetdirect recreate them.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Thank you all for your replies, I tried to configure this through Jet admin, Nwadmin, Netadmin, and Pconsole. I did try at first to use the old queue name and print server name. Then I tried to just start from scratch and still got the error message. At my wits end I removed the jet direct card restored the printer to factory defaults, deleted everything from NDS, (old queue name, printer object, and print server. I then installed everything back in and configured using Jetadmin (from a different work station) and it finally worked. I dont know which step fixed the problem but at this point I dont care.

Thanks again

I agree. No more Printer, Print Server or Print Queue objects - just one NDPS Manager and Broker with one NDPS Printer object per printer.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I am having the same error message while trying to configure a Laserjet 4 plus printer with windows 98se. I have a D-Link 4 port router which ties the printer and computer together. The Jetdirect card has the sticker J2550-6001 A-3503-03. I cannot use Jetadmin because it does not work with windows 98se. I have fixed the IP address of the printer as 192.168.0.2. I can ping this address successfully. The printer's test page lists the Jetdirect firmware as version A.03.06. On the suspicion that an upgrade to the firware would allow the wizard to succeed, I tried to upgrade the firmware with the HP Download manager but it gave the following error "INVALID SET COMMUNITY NAME". This is a known problem and the solution suggested by several forums is to fetch the older HP Download manager 2.25 which will upgrade the jetdirect firmware to a slightly newer version and then let the newest HP Download manager do the final upgrade. I can not find the older HP Download manager 2.25. As well I don't know if a newer firmware will solve the wizard error we are both experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back