Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer setup and GPO problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1962

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
GB
This is driving me insane. I have set up a Windows 2003 Server from scratch which acts as Domain controller, DNS and a print server.
A user can log on okay, but the GPO doesn't appear to be coming through to the clients. I have only set a few options within the GPO, one of them is supposed to assign drive P to a public share. This never happens. Also, If I create a printer share on the server, then try to connect on the client, ie, \\server\printersharename... It says I do not have permission on this machine. The printer is set up okay, as if I try the same logged in as admin, it's fine! I have checked permissions on the server and they seem okay. Am I missing something obvious here?... Please help... Thanks in advance.

Seems you have a few issues here. If I understand them correctly they are:

1. GPO is not being applied.
2. You are unable to connect to a printer as a user.

To resolve your GPO problem you need to give some more information. What does your OU structure look like? Where did you put the GPO. What security settings did you put on the GPO. What OU is the user account that you are testing with in?

You printer problem sounds like it is easier. This commonly happens if the user is not a power user and the computer does nto have the necessary drivers loaded for the printer. You can refer to MSKB 314486 for details on how to add the drivers to the machines. To verify that this is your problem, log onto a machine as admin. Connect to the printer and allow the drivers to be installed. Delete the printer. Log on as a user and connect to the printer.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark.
I have a 5 OU's set up on the server names Entry2000, Entry2001, Entry 2002 etc.... (Work in a school). Have one GPO set up called pupil, which is applied to all the OU's.

Settings in the GPO are very minimal, ie disble control panel etc...

Having spent most of the day on this problem, the GPO problem and Printer problem seem to be linked. I set up a basic mandatory profile on the server. Each user then points to this profile via \\server\profile\student. If I remove this pointer so no profile is used at logon, and delete the local profile stored on the client, the GPO is applied correctly and a user can connect to the printer without problem. As soon as I introduce this profile, they stop working again!.. Nothing like this happened when we had server 2000. Only started happening when we switched to server 2003.... Any idea what I am missing here?

Again, thanks for your help.

Wow, that is an interesting one. Sorry I don't have any suggestions on how to proceed at this time.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back