Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer settings win 7 vs win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

metmanners

Technical User
Mar 10, 2008
I have the book Running Microsoft Excel 2000 by Mark Dodge and Craig Stinson.

The company that I work for has no IT department rather uses a computer consultant. Matt said my manual is OK that most Excel stuff has not changed that much but the printer settings have apparently changed: For example; right off the bat, "click the Print Preview button on the Standard toolbar” is the first step in the book. There is no Print Preview button on the toolbar or ribbon or whatever it is now called.
F1 gives me an audio/video which I cannot hear clearly and the video clarity/resolution is TERRIBLE so that I cannot see what and where the instructor is pointing.

Do I need to get a win 2010 book just to set up printing?!!

metman

I think you're crossing Windows/Office versions in your statements/question.

For Excel 2010 (I'm assuming that's what you mean), the Print Preview isn't on the default toolbar (ribbon or quick access toolbar) by default, but is easily added.

For the Quick Access Toolbar:
1. click the arrow/drop-down to the right
2. Select Print Preview and Print from the drop down.

Now that option will always be at the top left of the Excel windows. Works the same in Excel 2007.

For the Ribbon (does not work this way in Excel 2007 - only Excel 2010):
1. Right-click anywhere in the ribbon
2. Select Customize the Ribbon
3. Change the ribbon there as you would previous toolbars in Excel (prior to 2007).

In Excel 2007, this won't work the same for the ribbon. To customize the ribbon in 2007, it's actually quite complicated.

If that doesn't answer your questions, please be more specific with your question, and more careful with whether you're referring to Windows or Office, and specifically what version of each you're wanting to ask about.

The version of Windows has no affect on where the items are located within Excel - that is strictly an Office/Excel issue, not Windows.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

kjv1611 said:
I think you're crossing Windows/Office versions in your statements/question.
Yes I realized that after posting and thank you for your succinct answers but when I
"1. click the arrow/drop-down to the right”
it just expands the formula bar so you must mean some other drop down arrow and yet you did say Excel 2010 . Therefore I will clarify my versions and question:

A. The down arrow I clicked is at the far right of the Excel screen immediately above the lettered headings for columns.

B. My book title is “Running ms Excel 2000

C. Company Excel is ms home/office 2010

D. Operating system is win7 but you said this is irrelevant (or no effect) for my question because it is an Excel issue (and when I say issue I mean issue in the traditional sense Not problem -- I do have a problem lots of 'em in fact).

E. I am working at the office not my home (different system Excel obliterated etc etc)

F. There is no Excel 2007 involved which I should be happy for, given the complications thank you very much.

BTW: Before you replied, I called my friend Larry who teaches a class in basic computer use at a community college and he could not answer my question either probably because I also confused him with my subject line.

I am sure you will figure out what I am doing wrong or not doing.

bless you bro

metman

1. click the arrow/drop-down to the right"

Ah.... I didn't give enough detail in that piece..

When I said "to the right", I meant, to the right of the Quick Access Toolbar... wasn't thinking that it's new to you, so you may not yet know where that is.

The quick access toolbar is at the top left - just above the File "button".

By the way, the File "button", at least that is what it looks like, takes you to what Microsoft calls "Backstage". That's where you get to all the options and such in all Office 2010 products.

In 2007, you had an Office Button, but it basiclaly did the same thing as Backstage.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

As for Windows 7, it has its own things to get used to, compared to XP in particular. However, this wouldn't be the place for those. I could offer some Widows 7 specific hints and tips in general, but I'll leave that to the Windows 7 forum:
forum1726

You can just look around in there for all sorts of information. Be sure to check out the FAQs and just search the forums in each case to find out information.

The way the forums here are setup are:
Office - there's just one big Office forum for general office questions, Excel formula questions, that sort of thing. This is the very forum you posted your question in: forum68

VBA for Office (not Access): all VBA questions, non-MSAccess, should be asked here: forum707

MS Access itself has several forums. I'll just put a link to the list of those via a forum search:

You'll note that it includes "VBA Visual Basic for Applications (Microsoft)", but that one should not be considered an "Access" forum, since the VBA questions for Access are under "Microsoft: Access Modules (VBA Coding)".

Anyway, let us know if I've covered what you were asking for, now, or if you need some further help.

“…what Microsoft calls "Backstage".

Yeah that one threw me had to go to help to find out what in world is Backstage.

“…As for Windows 7, it has its own things to get used to, compared to XP in particular.”

Exactly what I am dealing with because I have XP at home. So thanks for the link. I’m not sure how I missed the list of forums. I am used to a listing at the left on eng-tips.com.

“…to the right of the Quick Access Toolbar…” it is no wonder I could not find it. Almost invisible at least on this screen.

“…(ribbon or quick access toolbar) by default, but is easily added.” OK after searching around for about 10 minutes I finally see how that works. The (ribbon or quick access toolbar) is NOT the menu bar below the ribbon that I had thought. And it took a while to see that when I toggle the Print Preview and Print button that a teeny, teeny, tiny icon appears in the ribbon next to the down button because I was looking for the WORDS “Printer Preview” under a button on the menu bar below the ribbon.

In my Excel 2000 book p403 top para it mentions page setup and refers to p392 which of course refers back to p402 Using Printer Preview in the See Also note. So when I click F1 (help) and type in “page setup” on Excel 2010 one link (Excel Printing - Using the Page Tab Settings - Printing in Excel) takes me to About.com where tabs look unfamiliar.

I give up -- will ask my boss to show me again slowly – because he did it for me the first time a week ago.

About ten years ago I took a basic course in Excel. Apparently it is time for a review (redo). I already have decided to pay the $1,200 for 4 day update course in SolidWorks 2012 for work. I have SW 2006 at home. This new job is worth the investment.
Thanks for your help!

metman

Exactly what I am dealing with because I have XP at home. So thanks for the link. I'm not sure how I missed the list of forums. I am used to a listing at the left on eng-tips.com.
That listing will fill in over time as you visit the forums. That's your "threadminder". The threadminder is built to show those places you've visited in the past, not the entire listing of forums. That can be found from the main page or searching for a forum with "Find a Forum" in the search box at the top of any tek-tips page.

As for wanting to get tutorials on Office, there are some free resources at microsoft.com, and really, there are TONS of free videos and blogs and such all over the web.

I'd suggest searching for things like "introducing Office 2010" and the like.

Oh... and if you want large icons rather than small icons for anything in Office, just put them on the ribbon. You can create your whole own ribbon tab if you want with your most common shortcuts or even create brand new ones using macros and such.

The size is determined by how many icons are in a "group" in the ribbon.

You could also search for (Google) "customizing the Office 2010 ribbon". I would specify 2010 for sure, b/c 2007 was a whole different animal for the ribbon customizations.

Also, all the Page Setup and such options are on the ribbon anyway.. under the "Page Layout" tab. So that may have everything you need aside from the Print/Preview button(s).

Also, if you set a print/preview button on the ribbon, be sure you select the right one, b/c there are a few. You'll probbaly want the one called "Print Preview and Print"... and maybe the "Quick Print" one if you generally just go straight to print.. that sends the job to the printer w/o a preview. Seems like there were one or two others that are available, but I forget.

Anyway, don't give up on it. [wink] The ribbon itself takes a lot of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, MOST things are much easier and straight forward than they were before.

kjv1611,

"customizing the Office 2010 ribbon".

Yes this looks like fun way down the road after I learn how to use as is.

Thanks for your encouragement. I did not give up after all because if nothing else I am persistent which sometimes gets me into trouble even here on eng-tips. I think Techumseh (spelling? don't find it on this page) Group is top notch -- kudos to Dave.

Meanwhile, after so much grief trying to print Excel 2010, I have created a FAQ, i.e., Printing Excel 2010. NOBODY should have to struggle this hard just to print!

metman

Yeah the name isn't directly on the forum pages, but it is on a few other pages, such as:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back