Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

isbrown

MIS
Jul 22, 2008
US
I currently have an external HP print server with an IP address on the network. I have an outside company which prints to this ip address though my firewall. I now have a printer queue set up on a Windows Server 2003 machine which prints to a text file. The outside company can not change the way they do business. This means I need to somehow redirect the data going to the print server ip to the print queue on the windows server. How can I do this since the the printer queue is more of a url vs. an ip address.

So if your outside company prints to an IP-Adress within your local network, there must be setup something like NAT to redirect the imcoming networktraffic (on a public ipadress) to your local IP-Adress. Simply change the NAT destination to the new IP-Adress and you should be fine. The external company will not even notice, because they are still sending to the public IP-Adress.

I hope i correctly interpreted the given information.

True I can do all that. However, the ip I will need to redirect it to will be a Windows server with 10 different printer queues setup on it. How do I assign a specific ip to specific queue?

That sounds like you need to install TCP/IP-printservices for Windows.

It is possible to setup a lpr/lpd-queue on a windows machine which can be addressed from an unix-machine via ip-printservices.

google for that, there is plenty of information and howtos on the web how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back