Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer pukes over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblonde

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
I have a HP1220c on a win98 machine. The network is a workgroup config. The Win2000 box has givin me one sucessful test page. I've created a user account on the 98 box that matches the login of the user on the W2k box. I can generate a print preview, adjust page settings, but the second I hit print the application pukes (Excel, paint, Word, Autocad) and it's like nothing happend. I just placed the latest drivers on both machines. This w2k can print to other network printers fine. The user needs to be to this one because it's in color.

I've scanned the knowldge base and am going through the articles here.. but if anyone can help... please do...

Thanks.

If the user is logging in to a Domain, that may be the problem. If the printer is not published to the Domain, then the user can't print. Try having the user log in as Administrator to the local machine, with a matching Administrator password on the 98 machine and see if printing is fixed. If it is, then the next step is to integrate the printer into the Domain or have the user continue to log in locally.

Hi -

Make sure the printer is set to "Print directly to printer" - sometimes, when you have "Print/Spool" it will exhibit the same type of issues.

Also - from your 2k machine, ensure your using the PS driver for your PC and not the PCL driver.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the responses. First off it's a workgroup not a domain. Secondly, I tried the print directly to printer option and it still puked. Now I loaded the PCL driver first and that puked, then taking theripper(tm)'s advice I loaded the PS driver. Though the driver appeared to be the same one in the setup screens and again it puked. I really don't understand the diff betweent the two and I'd love to resolve this without a workaround. Thanks again ppl.

Mr. Blonde

We also experience the same thing when printing Excel or
Word docs to a Lexmark Printer from Windows 2000. The entire PC locks up--This has happened many times--

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm still struggling with this. I've gotten another W2k box to print to this printer just fine.

Try the following:

Insted of setting the printer up as a network printer set it up as a local printer on the W2K machine, when you get to the page to select your port add a new local port with the path to the printer; and continue the setup after that like you were setting up a local printer.

This has solved numerous printing issues for me.

The path should be "\\MachineName\PrinterName" CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

CharlieJAX gets the GOLDSTAR!!!

Thanks a million.

FYI for future readers of this thread. I noticed this particular 2000 box had a rather slow LAN connection, (it'd take a while to see other pc's) I was prompted with an error when trying to connect to the printer via network neighborhood (rather than installing the printer via control panel) that the Network connection was either to slow or unavailable (though I could still get to the pc via the network) this method of adding the local printer port may be a workaround for that error.

Mr. Blonde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back