Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lharris1103

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2012
US
Trying to print to a Dell Laser MPF 1815dn from a MacBook Air running Windows 7 64 bit. The printer is connected to a PC via usb and the PC connects to the network via a wireless device. The MacBook sees the printer and loaded the driver, but when printing a test page getting the error Test page failed to print. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add that although it sees the printer I am not getting a ready status for the printer on the MacBook.

On the PC sharing the printer assuming it has Windows 7 as well, go to the Network and Sharing Center and click "Change advanced sharing settings" over to the left. Make sure "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing" are both turned on:

See screenshot here:

Back on the MacBook Air, go to the Start menu and type \\computername (where computername is the name of the PC sharing the printer). If it prompts you to enter a username and password, do so and check the option to "remember my credentials". After that, try printing again.
[tab]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I've experienced similar Win7 sharing issues - at home I've got a USB connected printer on a Vista-64 machine. My Win7 laptop can't connect to the printer, even though it sees it. I'll see if cdogg's advice plays there.

Fred Wagner

Thanks cdogg but the PC sharing the printer is Windows XP.

OK, perhaps it's a driver issue. I know it installed automatically, but you may want to try downloading the Vista 64-bit driver from Dell:

[URL unfurl="true"]http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?[/url]

You can check the driver or manually change it by right-clicking the printer and going to "Printer properties". Under Advanced, you'll see what's listed. Click "New driver" to manually load or select a different one.
[tab]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back