Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCalAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2006
US
We have installed new queues on a new server specifically for Windows 7 machines. When connecting to a HP Color printer 4700 for the first time the following pop up displays. We do not want this popping up on our users. Any ideas on how to get it NOT to pop up on us. Please see the link for the pop up window we are trying to dis-allow.
Link

Tom

When upper management asks we investigate...

Glad you saw my reply before it got removed. So they don't have anything better to do than get after you for something that isn't affecting productivity. Interesting.

I still don't see any way of blocking that UNLESS you can figure out which executable is running by using a fresh PC, install the driver, use Process Explorer and kill off the process to get the name and then try to remove that executable from the install package (folder) of the driver.

Two reasons why it might not work:
1. Driver installation may "fail" if it detects that everything wasn't installed.
2. That program may be a piece of something bigger that is REQUIRED for functionality.

Hopefully this is a more acceptable answer to the flaggers.

My smart-ass reply is gone, too.

Don't take it personally; editing makes you look smarter and more polite than you actually are.

Could it be as simple as checking the bottom selection on the popup?

" No, do not send this info to HP and don't ask me again."

Jim

"Could it be as simple as checking the bottom selection on the popup?"
Of course it's that simple, but the OP doesn't want it to even pop up to waste one second of employee time pondering this query. Or should I say "management" doesn't want it.

My smart-ass reply is gone, too.
We need a section just for this type of thing. Let's call it "Off-Topic" or "Rants & Raves" It will be hugely popular. NASIOC (Subaru Impreza site) has one that now eclipses the original purposes of the web site. Hint, hint.

Assuming you can't get HP to tell you how to remove or disable the annoyance (you should of course ask HP), search for the text that appears in the dialog box, then figure out what actor causes presentation of the dialog box, and patch around it.

There are of course the risks that goombawaho mentions, but I wouldn't expect the associated code to be particularly sneaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back