Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Parameters for Multiple Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakleaf8

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
US
I have a split database. I created an MDE from the front end. Thirteen users have a shortcut to the MDE. All thirteen have an identical DYMO label printer with an identical name. However, when 7 users print a label, it works great and prints it as a ship label, what I have it set to (I set it to use a specific printer and set the paper as a shipping label). When the 6 other users print a label, it sees a tiny address label and prints it across 8 ship labels.

I'm so confused.

Would it be a good idea to check / eliminate any differences in the way the workstations are configured? Can you try one or these tests?

-- Make a test database which is not split, i.e. just a single .mdb file, which can print a test label.
-- Copy this onto the C: drives of two workstations - one which prints OK, and one which does not.
-- Run these local copies, and see whether the printing problem is still present

-- If you can do a test print from another application, e.g. Word or Notepad, try this on both machines

-- Swap a Dymo printer from a workstation which prints OK, with one which does not.

I think that a different result in test 1 only would suggest some difference in the way Access is configured. The problem showing up in both tests would suggest that it is not Access-related, but to do with printer drivers or configuration.
Test 3 would show if there is some hidden difference in the printers - e.g. they all appear to be the same model, but perhaps some are later versions, have different firmware levels etc.

I hope these thoughts will be of some use.

Bob Stubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back