Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer not selecting first page from different tray correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

edlcsre

MIS
May 9, 2002
GB
Hi all

Wondered if anyone had seen anything like this before?

I have a small department of people who run the same application. This application works such that the first page of whatever they print out is a covering letter, so goes on headed paper, and the rest of the pages are forms, and so need to be printed on plain paper.

For reasons way too boring to go into now, i've set this up at the printer level as a default, tray 2, headed paper, tray 3, plain paper.

I then connected 6 users from the department onto the printer, and 4 of them work perfectly, but for 2 of them, the first TWO pages come out on headed paper, and the rest on plain!

I've been through all the printer settings for a user who works and one who does not, and cannot see any differences, but this is consistent; they always print out the first two pages on headed.

The printer is a HP Laserjet 9040, using a PCL 6 driver.

I guess my question is whether there is anywhere in the user's profile where there could be some printer information stored which is over-riding the print queue settings? Just never seen anything like this before (printer ignoring the tray completely all the time, but never this!)

Has anyone seen this before, and/or have any ideas how it might be possible to fix?

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Chris

Is the driver installed on each user? Remove. Map each to the network driver, and deny all access to changes.
The NIC on the user computer may be an issue, try a firmware update to them.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I've had the same kind of issue. Change the driver to the Universal Print Driver for the 9040. Uninstall the printer from the two faulty computers, then reinstall using the Universal Driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back