Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
May 23, 2001
CA
Hi,
I have one printer server with 120 network printers, now I need to move them to another server, I know from NT resource kits, there is a utility called
"Printmig.exe" which can do the job, but current I don't have it(from NT 4.0 Resource Kit Supplement 3).
Is there anyway to pull out registry and import to new server without manually create 120 queue and 120 LPR ports (we are using TCP/IP printing). I've already tried these two keys, but it looks like not the correct one.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PrintMonitors\LPR Port\Ports"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PrintPrinters"

thanx

Z.Y

I remember doing something like this years ago. (If you don't use it, you lose it.)

I do remember that you have to backup and restore this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Shares

I pretty sure about the above key. And then I would try to backup and restore the whole Printers key in Control.

Like I said, I did this a long time ago. I can't really remember all of the details. I hope some of this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back