Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie13

Technical User
Jan 27, 2004
US
I am trying to decide whether to get Maintenance on 16 HP printers. Some have higher volume and are more expensive printers. The Maintenance pretty much includes two cleanings per year. Do you all think this is necessary or should I have them cleaned on a per needed basis?

I personally would say only on a as needed bases. I do most the cleaning an maintance myself. We do not have 16 hp printers though (im talking like Hp 4000's and up). Unless the printers are heavly used most wont need a cleaning 2 times a year. Least our dont.

Thanks. We have a couple of 2200s, a 4000, two 4Plus that get used a lot. We have six 1100s that do not get used that much. The person trying to sell us a maintenance agreement says, it will extend the life of the printer. I don't know what to do?

Yes maintance can extend the life of the printer. But, cleaning is easy to do and can be done by anyone and wont extend the life much. If he is talking about roller replacment, drum/fuser maintance then it may be worth it. Again you can do this yourself but if your not confortable doing it and want a warrenty on it. Then paying somone would be best bet.

I guess it all depends on how much they want for the maintance. And how old/used your printers are. Since laserjets are so cheap now most the models you have could be replaced at low cost.

If I wanted to do the cleaning on my own, would simply spraying them with air to clear all dust, be enough? Is it difficult to replace pads?

Depends on the printer and what rollers go out. But, on the Hp 4000 for example the pickup rollers pop right off once you push in the tab on the back. Most companys will send you instructions along with the rollers on proper install. Also as you said blowing them out with compressed air and cleaning out any excess toner from them usually keeps them healthy. The rollers dont need replacment often only when they wear down and you start getting allot of paper jams or no pulls. That is the only maintance I do and have not had much trouble with my printers doing this. There are times when you may need a professional repair though. When that happens you see if its cost effective.

Thank you ver much for your words. I think I am not getting Maintenance for now.

Please DO NOT use a standard vacum cleaner to remove toner.
Since the toner is electrically conductive,it will short out the motor.
There are toner safe vacun cleaners available for printer/copier manitenance.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I was thinking of using a dust blower not a vacuum. Is this wrong?

Canned air may push the toner into places such as logic boards,connectors,etc.
When I was servicing HP printers,I removed the exterior shells vacumed the printer then reversed the air flow and GENTLY blew the residue(dust/toner)from the unit.
Canned Air is good,just be forewarned about where loose toner can end up in the unit.

Rick Harris
Network Operations

Do you think it's worth getting a maintenance contract for our printers. It includes two cleanings a year. Or should we have them cleaned and/or serviced as needed?

Most of the HP service contracts do not cover PM's,just
repair. A local AUTHORIZED HP vendor could cover PM's in a service contract.

Rick Harris
Network Operations

It is through a local authorized dealer. Is it worth it?

Our printer repair shop told me to vacuum only in the laser printers.

I had a printer which I got a bunch of toner in when I had a cartridge problem. I just got out the canned air and took it outside and blew it out. It proceeded to stop working. Repair guy told me vacuum only. Wound up throwing the printer away and replacing it because troubleshooting at hourly rate was an unknown cost.

It depends on how much they will sell the contract for. What does it include besides 2 cleanings a year. I am an HP authorized tech and have had many contracts signed with the 2 PM's a year. Some machines it will be useless on and some it will be greatly warranted. It really depends on which machines and how much for those machines. Let me know how much for each individual machine and I'll let you know.

Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back